MacBook: flashing question mark at start-up ... Problem: firmware password

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mgpg89, Jan 13, 2009.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

My girlfriend's MacBook has decided not to start up anymore since last night.

Normally I would insert the OS X disc and start-up holding C, but I can't do this anymore, because of the firmware password we just installed.

(We installed this password because we bought the Undercover software and it's recommended by the developers)

Any way to get the Mac up and running again?

Thanks in advance!

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If you don't know, the flashing ? means that a bootable device can not be found. While it can occasionally can mean a software issue (if an update goes bad) that usually means either the hard drive got disconnected a bit (drop) or the hard drive is more than likely.... kapuut.

As far as I know, there is no way past a firmware password... PRAM reset maybe, doubtfully?

If you just installed it, can't you just enter the pass and be on your merry way or does that bypass booting with "c"?

If that's the case, try holding down option when the machine is booting up to show you your bootable options.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

this happened to me and it was becasue my hard drive was dead

4. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Ouch ...

It happened to my MacBook Pro once too, but it was just fine.

5. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Fixed it!

Resetting the PRAM & NVRAM did not work. Neither did booting from the OS X DVD holding C at start up.

So I tried starting up holding the Option key to bring up the Start up manager and it worked!
    I did have to enter the recently installed firmware password first (which was quite a hassle ... it wouldn't accept my password at first, which was driving me crazy. Then I realized my system was in AZERTY, but all Macs - or even computers in general for that matter - are by default QWERTY, so I entered my password like I would with a QWERTY keyboard and it worked)

Select the Mac folder on the HD, click OK and I was good to go.