Macbook flat rate fee repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teddyta, Sep 8, 2013.

1. teddyta, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013

teddyta macrumors newbie

So I recently went to the apple store for a diagnosis on my macbook pro. Turns out, my power button as well as the top right side of my keyboard does not work due to a logic board issue. The guy told me that I can send my macbook in to a depot for a flat rate fee of $280 + tax. I researched this option more online and found out that this price will stay the same if there are no other physical/accidental damages made elsewhere. Stupid me, I decided to see if I could turn on my macbook another way so that I wouldn't need to pay for a repair/replacement and proceeded to mess with my logic board (followed youtube..) and accidentally broke my keyboard's function.

My questions are:
    1. The top right corner of my logic board does not work, so would that mean it needs a replacement or can it be repaired?
    2. Would the flat rate fee raise in price if the keyboard issue was accidental, but not the power button? Both the sources of these problems is in the logic board, but will the apple depot still raise the price (for accidental damage) if the solution to both is to just replace the logic board?
    3. Will the apple store help me send in my macbook to the depot for repair?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd say that you now need a new LB..As to how Apple were planning to repair the original fault, well that's anyones guess, but if an LB replacement was in the original quote then the price should remain the same. I'd take it in and get it done.

3. teddyta thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm sure the LB replacement was the original quote, I just don't know if they will take into account the damage I made to another part of the LB and raise the price because of that.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I doubt it..a new LB is a new LB after all.

5. teddyta thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks so much! Do you know if the apple store can help me send my macbook to the depot? Calling apple support would cost me $20 because it's not under warranty, so I'm hoping that sending my macbook to the depot through the apple store is cheaper.