Macbook flatlining. Possibility of repairs?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RobbieL, Oct 20, 2008.

1. RobbieL macrumors member

My Macbook is coming on to two years old, and although I take good care of my Macbook, over the recent weeks it just seems to be falling apart on me.

Firstly, at either side of the trackpad (were your wrists would sit), the top panel seem to be coming away from the rest of the laptop casing. At either side of the trackpad, there is a bulge in the plastic were it's seperating from the bottom half of the casing.

Secondly, I've noticed where the two magnetic ridges at the top of screen touch when it's closed there are cracks. I'd put it down to slamming the lid shut to hard, but like I said, I've taken pretty good care of the Macbook so was suprised to see this happen.

Finally, the lid feels loose and wiggles quite a bit from side to side ... and the DVD drive doesn't except certain DVD types. Most recently, blank dual layered DVD's. Now, both these issues I've had since day one, so I've learned to live with them. But the previous two, they're a bit more concerning.

So my question is, if I was to nip by an Apple store with my Macbook what are the chances of them repairing it? I bought the Macbook back in January 06' through the HE store. I hear there is some 3 year warranty with HE purchases, but not entirely sure if I bought mine before or after this got put into place. Also, any idea on what kind of time frame there'd be on repairing it? The closest Apple store is a good 1hr/30min drive away, so would be an ideal if it was a day job (I understand it's probably not, though).

Cheers.

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Your MacBook is probably out of warranty unless you purchased applecare. You can always check to see if it is covered under some kind of warranty by calling and giving them your model and serial number. If it's not under any kind of warranty, the issues you described are going to be expensive to repair.

Regards.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Are you in the UK ?

Put the serial number of your MacBook into https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do
    and see what it says.

If you have a 3 year HE warranty it will be described as a custom warranty.

If you do have a warranty everything you have described will be covered - and should take a couple of days at the Apple Store.

4. RobbieL thread starter macrumors member

Cheer for the link logana. Just entered the serial number and it came back with "covered under a custom contract", so looks like I'll be ok.

Just need to find the time to get to the Apple store now.

Thanks again!

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Make an appointment at the Genius Bar early in the morning - you may get lucky and they will be able to fix in a couple of hours.

Sounds like a replacement topcase and a new optical drive - 30 minutes max...

Your macbook will then be like new....