MacBook Flicker

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parpart33, Apr 24, 2007.

1. parpart33 macrumors newbie

parpart33

I've been reading a lot about MacBooks that are reported as having "flickering" screens when they are wake back up from sleep. Does this defect affect every MacBook (okay, not EVERY MacBook...) or has Apple fixed this problem and the latest shipments are free of this issue? If you purchased a MacBook within the last month, have you had a flickering screen? Thanks for looking! :D

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. yaroldb macrumors 6502

They are rare. You read about them a lot here but that’s because this is where people come to vent. I had the flickering problem twice. The first time they replaced the inverter board. 2 months later the flickering happened again. This time they replace the logic board. Apple was great about the repair process and I could not have been more pleased with the entire service (considering my $1300 laptop was broken).:D

4. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

did the person you sold it to know it had the flickering problem?

6. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

does it stop not long after waking or starting up the machine? if so it doesnt seem like that big of a deal.

I wonder if they are using samsung displays in these macbooks that would explain the issue as samsung's quality has slipped lately. they have all kinds of problems in their lcd's from laptop panels to the tv panels :(

7. RichyHo macrumors member

RichyHo

Mine started flickering after 11 months from new. As soon as the gray apple logo screen came up, it would flicker really badly. At first it was barely noticeable, but take it from me, this problem gets worse with time.

Luckily I had a month left on my warranty so I logged a call, booked a genius and took my FlickerBook in to my local Apple Store. While I was there I pointed out the other, minor, niggly things that were wrong with it. They had it for 2 days before giving me a call to pick it up.

Turns out it was a power inverter issue (or something like that) which they replaced. They also replaced my screen surround (it had never fit snuggly with the lid), replaced my entire keyboard/trackpad/top piece (it was dented when I first took delivery of the MacBook but I never bothered taking it back) and did something to quieten my fan.

The upshot is I got a nice new clean keyboard with no staining on the mouse pad, a mouse click button that actually worked, quieter fan and a fixed screen. Happy flippin' days!

So glad the flickering started within the warranty period!

8. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Of course not :)

9. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Mine doesn't flicker, but it does make a horrible static sound when waking from sleep (and buzzes while charing)...

10. scrambledwonder macrumors 6502

Flicker slightly

I just got a black macbook and today, while working with the machine on my lap, I started to notice a slight flicker that got worse as I turned the screen brightness down.

I put the computer on my desk and after about two minutes the flickering stopped.

Is this just a problem with heat? Or is it abnormal? Just wondering because I could probably take it in and have them give me a new one as I've had the machine for less than a week.

Maybe I'll wait a week and see if the problem returns

11. unixfool macrumors 6502a

ouch

12. scrambledwonder macrumors 6502

Seems that may people have experienced this problem to some degree. I think I'll just get apple care and if it gets worse, I'll get the machine fixed. Right now it doesn't really bother me unless the screen is at one bar of brightness and I've been working it hard (using Aperture or running iTunes visualizer, but I don't do either of those two things all that often).

So all in all it's not a big problem. Heck, my old PowerBook may have had a similar problem for all I know. I stopped searching for flaws in that machine a few years ago! New machines. . . well, we tend to pick through them looking for flaws. . .

13. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

macbook 13.3" flickering

so... i figured i'd save up and get a mac like i've wanted for the past couple years

i drove an hour and 45 minutes in holiday traffic to get my aluminum 13" 2.0gHz intel core 2 duo macbook with 2gb of RAM

carried it around all day - made lenox mall a family afair (long ride for the baby)

anyways

got home and powered it up and the text was flickering in certain spots on the left side of the screen.

i was so upset that i got sick to my stomach.

apple ran me through a power reset by taking the battery out and holding the power button for 5 seconds and then putting it back together... very nice service but i unfortunatly had to go back and exchange it

the apple guy i talked to was very nice and i had another macbook inside of 20 minutes.

they were lucky too because i couldve thrown that macbook so far after spending 1350 on it :)

anyways i love this new mac very very nice, i guess i'm just lucky to be inside of my warranty (that is - i was 17 hours inside of it)