Macbook for a Creative Multimedia Student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by imLOST, Sep 18, 2007.

1. imLOST macrumors newbie

Hey all.

Just so you know, I'm from Ireland if that it relevant at all :)

I was just wondering if you kind folks would be able to aswer a few of my questions regarding the the 2.16GHz, 120GB HD, 1GB Ram White Macbook.

Ok, first off, I'm a Creative Multimedia Student and that will involve some photoshopping, video editing amd web design. Now, I was just wondering if the Macbook would be up to the task of running Photoshop and Final Cut with the current specs or will it run at all?!?

I mean, I can update the RAM easily enough so if I have to updrade that, I will but otherwise, do you think that a Macbook would serve me well for the next few years.

Also, I'd use the Macbook for Browsing and watching DVD's and stuff too abviously Just to let you know..

Any help to be given?!

Thanks

PS: A MacBook Pro is slightly out of my price range.
    PPS: A MAcBook is more appealing as it's screen is much smaller and more portable.

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

It really depends on whether you're trying to run Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Express. FCE will run fine on a MB, and PS, Dreamweaver (or whatever you're looking to use for web development) will fly. If you're trying to go for FCP or the suite, then you're going to need something with a dedicated GPU (video card). A MBP or iMac may be in order. Keep in mind that if you are going to be doing a lot of video that hard drive (on any portable, really) will fill up fast.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Speed wise things should work OK. You may have a few issues with some PS plugins. The real problem will be screen size. Can you live with a 13.3" screen doing FC and PS?

4. imLOST thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

I've been told that an exteral screen would be advisable already by others but for now, I'd be more than happy with the 13" tbh. I mean, I need a TV anyway so in a few months or whatever, I might get a 20 odd inch Flat Panel TV/ Monitor. Also, I'm aware that the HD is quite small but again, I plan to get a bigger one in a few months time. It will be ok for now, I'd imagine.

Also thanks for letting me know that PS and FCE will work without many problems. If I really need to do a lot of Video editing then I can always use the Macs here in the college. For now though, if I can use it for some light editing, then I'm happy enough :D

Any more words of Wisdom? Thanks

PS: I have to go now but I'll check this thread tomorrow so please leave as much advice as possible because a 1300 Euro computer is a lot of Money, especially for a student :D Thanks once again!

5. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    One thing that occurs to me right off the bat is that, if you're going to be doing video editing, your absolute best bet is to get an external HDD that connects via FireWire. Preferably, the HDD mechanism itself should be either a SATA or a SATA II drive, either 7200 RPM or 10K RPM. This will give you a better video data access speed than from the internal, and also keeps your internal from getting completely loaded up, with the attendant difficulties associated therewith.

I've really never done video editing, but from what I understand, it's preferable (especially now in the age of HD video) to have as large a display as possible.

Good luck!

6. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

I think macbook is an alright option but in all seriousness i suggest macbook pro if you can afford it, even the lowest end one.

Only cause when you REALLY start getting into creative multimedia design etc, you got to ask yourself whether you are going into 3d rendering at all, or using motion or color in final cut or just doing more print and web based work. Because once you go for those things, a macbook won't be able to handle them as well...if at all. So it all comes down to your needs and interests.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Why not get a G5 or Mac Pro?

I've worked extensively with Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator, DreamWeaver, InDesign, iMovie, iDVD and have found that "they ALL" take up a bunch of SPACE on the HD. Initially, I utilized my MacBook 2.16GHz 120GB for FCP and PS, and that was for uTube and MySpace videos and slide shows, and enjoyed having all those WINDOWS open at the same time, but like everyone has been saying it really helps to store them on an external HD with Firewire and at least a 20" cinema display or larger. I've watched at least 30 movies on my MacBook and have not had a problem with the superdrive. Since I bought my Mac Pro (aka: The Workhorse) I've limited the amount of work I'm producing with my MacBook. The MacBook is great on the go, if you're on an airplane or traveling on the train (Metro/BART) or Amtrak (the battery lasts around 5-6 hours). It can probably handle those tasks you've inquired about, but I would go with a MBP or a G5 or Mac Pro.:cool:

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

A Macbook is going to own a G5. G5's suck.

Getting a huge Mac Pro with a massive screen probably wouldn't be the best idea if he wants to be able to carry it to class and stuff...

You'll be fine with the Macbook. The only real reason you'd need a Pro is if you wanted to run Motion or Color (which you won't as a student most likely), and if you have to do some compositing you can always pick up After Effects which should work fine.

9. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I'd go for MBP if you can afford it.

Sounds like you have your heart set on a MB.

Both are great machines.

10. imLOST thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help guys. It's kinda true that I have my heart set on a MB but I just wanted to make sure, you know.

Thanks to everyone for the help and I think that I will order it this weekend. I'll buy 2GB of RAM and install it my self and then I'll buy an external Hard Drive when I can afford it :D

As long as it can run Photoshop and so some light stuff in Final Cut (Pro or Express) then I'm happy enough. Like I said before, I can use the MAc labs here in college if it just becomes too much for the MAcbbok to handle.

Besides, MacBooks are sexy so why not get one :D

Thanks again....