Macbook for a first time user- any advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cryonicjim, Jul 20, 2009.

1. cryonicjim macrumors newbie

Hey Everybody,

Helping a friend whos getting ready to make the switch pick out their first macbook. Ideally Shes looking for something used for under 1000, but she wants to run windows on boot camp (something that can run windows 7 would be great, i recently hooked her up with the rc on my self-built pc desktop and she likes it much better than vista). Any suggestions on what we should look at?

2. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

Why are you looking for a macbook if she will be using windows 7? Or will she be using it alongside OS X?

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For windows 7? I would go with the 13" MBP, you can even get the model that came out in October which people are foolishly calling a "collector's edition". That will be much less cash out of her pocket and still suit her needs.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could wait until the last gen base MacBook is back in the refurbished store for $750 and tell her to get that. It is a solid machine for a good discount off of the new ones.

5. Jabbamk1 macrumors member

Jabbamk1

Go to the apple store and play around with the 13" and 15" models. Once you have decided on a screen size go for the base model. I recommend 2Gigs of ram if not 4GB from a refurb store. This will run 7 very easily as it runs on just about anything.

6. MacLover4491 macrumors member

You should get the refur macbook alumium 13'' for her. IT should be under 1000. =)

7. cryonicjim thread starter macrumors newbie

she would be running windows alongside os x. She loves os x, but windows is a nessecary evil for school (virtual classroom stuff requires windows)

8. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

9. ironman159 macrumors regular

ironman159

Why foolishly? According to MY logic... it's indeed a "Collector's Edition". How can I prove this? Can you buy one right now? No. So?:cool:

Edit: Yes you can buy one right now... but... they'll eventually be Out of Stock and on top of that, there was only one... yes one generation of it.

10. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Not foolishly...more like jokingly.

It was crazy how short-lived the aluminum MacBook was.

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

... it was really the PreuMB"P"...

12. ironman159 macrumors regular

ironman159

That just drives me mad. I was one of the ones who bought a PreuMB"P". Yes I know... I should've waited... but when I bought it I was already waiting for over 6 months. Crazy me. ;)