Macbook for AUDIO, will purchase soon, need help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sceneshifter, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Hey Guys,

Advice needed concerning: Laptop, external harddrive, carrying case (preferably a not so obvious laptop bag, for robbing issues).

With the release of Logic Studio, the time has come to buy my new laptop, which will ONLY be used for audio production. Screen size has almost no value to me (at least between the 15" and the 13.3"), nor does the look of the two.

My main issue is the RAM (between the two), I'm afraid the 2Gig of RAM will not be enough for audio production (loads of virtual instruments and tracks), though I'm currently using 2Gig of Ram in my PC (also for production) and it has MORE then it should already!

Everything about the macbook makes it look like great value (except the horrible gfx card, but I don't really need one anyway). I would just like to know if the macbook works well with Logic, heavy heavy usage of Logic (loads of instruments, tracks...).

I would upgrade it immediately with 2gig of ram, no doubt there. Which makes my macbook still 400 EURO cheaper then the Macbook pro. 400 Euro is a lot of money for me, so it's not just a matter of 'saving a paycheck' and getting the Macbook Pro unfortunately. 400 Euro is also the price I'd pay as a student for Logic Studio, so it has a HUGE impact on my purchasing decission (if I'd get the macbook pro, I simply can't afford Logic Studio, which makes the macbook pro useless to me).

SO the idea is of purchasing the macbook + logic studio (which is the same price as just one macbook pro), but ONLY if the macbook can handle it of course.

Any tips & advice? Preferably from people who are using it for audio production. I see a lot of macbooks around on stage, but I don't know if it is good for studio usage also.

Also, are there enough connectors etc... on the macbook?

Please note also, I'd be using an external harddisk for storing my projects, any tips on a good PORTABLE one?

Portability is very important.

Next, you have suggestions for a nice, affordable, bag to carry it (available at the mac store?).

And finaly, when buying now till the 16th of october (I'll wait for october, hopefuly I get Leopard then too) I get a 'free' ipod nano. I have this voucher then for the value of it. Can I use this on the same online purchase, or do I have to for example, purchase the nano + laptop online, and use the voucher to go and buy Logic Studio in a store where I use the 140euro voucher?

Thank you for reading, and thank you for the suggestions, it's highly highly appreciated!

2. bwv1013 macrumors newbie

i can't give advice on running Logic on a macbook but you're definitely spot on about maxing out the RAM. i have 2 gigs on both my machines and it runs well enough but i don't do anything terribly intensive.

as for the hard drive, i picked up an iomega on sale yesterday and it's awesome. simple to set up, firewire/USB and it's about half the size of a mac-mini so it's quite portable (it's actually designed to be stacked under a mini...). here's a link to check it out:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8411426&st=iomega+500+gb&type=product&id=1181347723845

either way make sure you get something firewire and a fast drive speed (i went with 7200) and you should be fine.

3. sananda macrumors 68020

just on the discreet bag question.... i got a tucano cobra bag from the online apple store. no-one would know it's a computer bag and it has a nice ipod pocket inside.

4. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

"At least 2GB of RAM for large EXS instruments" - apple.com

I have no idea how far you will go in Logic but if your machine starts to lag, apple told you so.

5. jshbckr macrumors 6502

Here is a tip to save some money right off the bat: Don't get your RAM from Apple.

You'll save a good chunk of change getting your RAM from a respected third-party seller (macsales.com, for example).

But your situation is difficult because it sounds like you just flat-out can't get Logic if you get a MacBook Pro. So even if you saved money on the MacBook by buying cheaper RAM, if it can't run Logic properly, it's worthless.

Personally, I think you'd be better off getting a MacBook Pro, even if it means waiting a little bit longer to save up some more money. Because what happens if you want just a little extra push from your MacBook but you've already maxed out the RAM? With a MacBook Pro you can go up to 4GB.

6. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

all very valid responses, I was however told on this forum it is no problem to add up to 3Gig of ram to the Macbook, were they incorrect?

7. emac82 macrumors 6502

You can only go up to 2GB on the current MacBooks.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Officially Apple says that it supports 2GB but you can put up to 3GB in it.

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Even if it is possible, by putting 1 GB and 2 GB sticks in it you are loosing dual-channel mode, that speeds things up considerably on machines with integrated video. And putting two 2 GB sticks is pointless, because Mac will see only 3 GB, while those 2 gig sticks are very expensive.

Save more and get a MBP - you wont regret it, I promise.