MacBook for Business Use?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by greentiger, Oct 25, 2007.

1. greentiger macrumors newbie

I'm stuck between the high end MacBook (black) and the low end Pro. I won't be running any graphics or video intensive applications, just MS Office and the host of Apple apps. If I'm working on large Excel models, drafting Word docs, running iTunes, iCal, Address, Safari, iChat etc., all at the same time, is there a difference in performance between the Blackbook with 2GB RAM and the MacBook Pro with 2GB RAM? Price is not an issue. My concerns are performance with what I described, the screen (MacBook doesn't have the LED right?), heat, battery life and wifi reception. Also, does the video card effect DVD performance?

I have a PowerBook G4 15" and love it, but going with the Pro seems like I'm getting the same thing in terms of looks, so if the two machines are apples to apples with what I'm going to use it for, then I might go BlackBook. Thoughts?

Many thanks.

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

The only reason why I would suggest you get the Pro is the larger screen. It helps when running multiple applications, or having large Excel sheets. Given your needs the performance will be the same between the 2, but the MBP is running a slightly newer and slightly faster processor (the MB is due for an update soon).

3. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

The macbook has better wifi reception and IIRC better battery life as well, although since the mbp got LED screens that might have changed. For your use, there wouldn't be much difference between the two. The apps you used doesn't use the graphics card and 0.04ghz increase in CPU won't be noticeable. Save the extra cash for external hard drives and maybe a larger screen if you're going to be multi-tasking a lot.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The macbook would do everything you described just fine, but the question is,
    how "professional" do you need to look? The macbook is a great machine, but it has the markings of a "student" computer. I know it sounds shallow, but in many cases, minor things (haircut styles, suit style, etc) can make or break someone's impression of you. It's no wonder that the Thinkpad has long been a favorite of business professionals; it's a professional looking notebook. If this is a concern of yours, consider whether or not the black macbook is the way to go, or whether the base macbook pro would be better. If you were to ask me, the macbook pro is definitely the more "professional" looking notebook. If you're tight on money, however, go with the blackbook. If money isn't a major concern, then bump it up to a pro.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I went thru the same discussion in May. 150K miles a year, client presentations, etc., and I am glad I got the BlackBook. The extra $$ I would've spend on a MBP really wouldn't have given me anything I need, and as far as screen real estate, I dual-monitor at home. On the road I want as little extra weight as possible. I think the BlackBook's perfect for a traveling professional.

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Most PC notebooks used in the business world are black plastic. I think the blackbook would fit right in!

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well the Sony Viaos aren't always black plastic. They have metallic elements as well (though not as nice as the mbp).

Personally, I think that the mbp is just a better looking notebook. Even though the Blackbook fits the mold of the classic "PC" notebook (and does a better job doing it), I still like the sleek look of the mbp.