Macbook for Business

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by danvan21, Apr 1, 2009.

1. danvan21 macrumors regular

So, my Dad is a General Manager of a Country Club and is looking to upgrade is 6 year old laptop. He has used windows forever but really likes to use my macbook, cause its so fast. He thinks the white macbook is awesome but really cant justify the price. What do you think the best advantages for a small business type person would benefit from a mac?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Does he know the average price of a decent notebook? I think the white MacBook is a good deal for what you get.

The aluminium versions aren't nearly as good a deal in comparison, while the white MB is still quite good compared to the competition.

3. macDonalds macrumors 6502

It's hard to say without knowing what applications he uses for his business. In general, you can usually find an equivalent or better on Mac. However, there are plenty of cases where applications are Windows only.

Take me for example - I run a small business and I develop applications on the Windows platform. In that case, there's really no choice but to run Windows. In my situation, I use Mac because I much prefer OS X off-hours.

If your dad is just going to run Windows applications than he's better off with a PC.

4. danvan21 thread starter macrumors regular

The only programs he really uses are Outlook and Office. His main concern is about Outlook.

5. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Outlook doesn't run on Mac. It's "direct" replacement is Entourage 2008, which sucks any which way you look at it. If you're not using Exchange, just use Apple Mail, which is a halfway decent, lightweight email program. If you're using Exchange, Apple Mail will handle it, but not nearly as well as Outlook because all Mac implementations of exchange use WebDAV calls rather than a native Exchange interface (i.e., it interfaces with Exchange the same way Outlook Web Access does, so you lose some functionality).

6. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

7. iphonematt Guest

Why is that?

8. raremage macrumors 6502a

Arguably a better solution - depending on what he has going on on the back-end - is to switch to the free version of Google Apps to leverage the email and calendaring functions.

But it really does depend on what he does with Outlook - for example, if he is sharing calendars or using macros, he's sticking with Windows unless he wants to undertake some work - possibly some significant work - to make the move.

Apple Mail is really not a good replacement recommendation in my opinion, unless you also include Address Book, iCal, and stickies - and even then, the integration between all of these applications pales in comparison to the integrated PIM functions of Outlook.

9. macDonalds macrumors 6502

That would be a big concern considering there (not that I know of) is not a good replacement of Outlook on the Mac. If he's using Exchange than he might have to stick with Windows. On the other hand, if it's an email service hooked into Outlook like: hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc. then he can probably get by with a combination of Mac Mail, Address Book, and iCal. Or as someone else mentioned - Google apps to streamline.

Office is less of a concern as he can use the free OpenOffice suite of tools or Google apps.

10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

For a small business, computer uptime should be key. A Mac will not have the security and stability nightmare that can knock down a Windows system and cost him valuable time.

That's the reasoning I used in buying a Mac for university, and the same principle applies here. Time is money (or, in my case, marks, I suppose!).

11. raremage macrumors 6502a

That's true, but there's no uptime at all if the business critical apps are Windows-only.

12. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Scottrade does not have ScottradeElite and in the regular Scottrade the Buy and Sell orders when flicker like crazy when you open them. If he does a lot of online buying and selling of stocks then he is better of with a regular PC. I have a regular PC and a MacBook Pro and the regular PC is much better if you do online stock trading.

The other disadvantage is if you have security cameras set up at home or at work that use Dlink or some other brand with Ethernet is that you can't see them or open them up with a Mac computer :(

For all other stuff the Mac is great:D

13. danvan21 thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone used entourage at all? good program bad program? Also, my dad plans on getting a blackberry or windows mobile phone, anyway to sync it with the macbook?

14. timmciglobal macrumors member

I'm going to go the opposite route here and say if he's an outlook user and used to PC he should stick with it.

That doesn't mean he couldn't for example buy a macbook and dual boot if he wants but if his primary needs are MS based and he's not computer savy relearning things on a mac might fustrate him especially if the cost is an issue.

I dual boot on my macbook 2.4.

Tim

15. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

If price is the main issue here - why not get one of the clearance models from the Apple store? They're more than enough capable for your dad - in terms of performance/speed etc etc...

If your a student, or know anyone who is a student, just take them along to the Apple store and get any Mac laptop with student discount (13-15% off any Mac purchase).

Just a thought.

16. raremage macrumors 6502a

I would rate it 'fair to good.' 2008 is much improved over 2004 IMHO. With the latest updates to Exchange, it now supports data transmission without a VON connection (but also requires Exchange 2007 on the back end).

Yep, that's not a problem in general. But - if he's using Entourage, is it for off-line use or online use? You should be thinking about a holistic solution that includes over the air sync - Exchange, Notes, GMail, Mobile Me, and most other POP mail can certainly be configured to sync over the air. Some systems (Exchange, Google Apps, Mobile Me - for example) will also support over the air sync of not only mail, but calendars and contacts as well.