Macbook for Christmas?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imightbechad, Nov 6, 2007.

1. imightbechad macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Newb here.

I'm planning to purchase a macbook for my fiancee this christmas, and was wondering if it would be wise to wait until the holiday season gets closer.

My questions are:

Are there usually substantial sales/discounts available closer to the holidays?

I know there were all kinds of rumors about a slim aluminum macbook, but I gather this most recent update squashed that...is that correct? Is there any hope of an aesthetic update by this christmas?

Thanks in advance!

Chad

2. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

as far as i know...apple hardware prices tend to stay fixed until apple announces otherwise...and i dont think there will be any price cuts for xmas...and also i dont think there are any rumored product updates til jan08...so buying now would be a good idea

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Sounds like you are from the states(?)

Not that i have any experience but i've read on here you can get discounts on Black Friday.

The Macbooks were just updated which means that is it until after Christmas.

4. imightbechad thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your help guys. i think i'll go with the macbook now and save myself the hassle of december.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

There are certain discounts available. Educational, Military, Governmental (?) plus some others i think. So you may qualify for one of these. Worth checking out.

6. feyn-man macrumors regular

Then how about thanks giving?

Even there will not be a discount, is there any possibility that apple gives you some gift (something like a mouse or something others) when you buy a macbook at these holidays.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Is that the same as Black Friday (only gleamed this info from on here so not totally sure)

8. feyn-man macrumors regular

So, do you know what kind of discount apple made at the last Black Friday?

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

10. archi penko macrumors member

archi penko

rumors are rumors.... you should check out the Buyer's Guide at macrumors to see how far along apple products are in the product cycle... if they are about to be renewed or not.

As for the "slim macbook"... i believe its actually a macbook pro, AND its a "lite" version of a comp. That means, prolly no burner or any kind of CD/DVD drive, less I/O ports (perhaps no firewire 800, no video output, no sound input,no PC Card slot, no IR - which may also mean no Apple Remote) they may be squeezing in bluetooth and isight.... but then again WHO KNOWS???

its all speculative at this point. i'd say go with the info you have ... look at the buyer's guide.

As for sales, X'mas is Apple's biggest season. I don't recall a sale only pretty ads with your macs/ipods giftwrapped in a big red bow.
    Sale season often happens during the summer... from June - Sept, where they offer students a free iPod with their purchase, and everyone a $100 rebate with a printer. There is always a printer available for $100, so its basically a free printer ;)

Apart from tax-free day like xUKHCx said... there is Black Friday, that does have very decent savings (esp. on iPods) info avail here of an old poster (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=B54BE34&nclm=BF06Teaser)

11. feyn-man macrumors regular

12. elcid macrumors 6502

Hardware updates, no.

Sale prices, no.

Chances of them bundling for the christmas season, doubtful. They dont need to spend more money on getting people to buy stuff during the holiday.

Notice that that flyer from them just said shopping ideas, nothing about sales or options. I would prolly buy it now, save the hassle and maybe a shortage later on.

13. archi penko macrumors member

archi penko

true, but i seem to remember being in SF and the Union Sq. store had at least $15 off iPods. one day only. will try to find something to back that up tho... don't want it to be all nada :rolleyes: