MacBook for College

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by karlie, Jun 12, 2013.

1. karlie, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013

karlie macrumors newbie

I have $1400 to spend on a new macbook, no more. The problem is I don't know which one to buy, I also want to buy AppleCare. My thinking is that the baseline non retina MacBook Pro is the way to go if I upgrade it to 8gb of ram and add AppleCare its about $1340 with tax. Or should I go with a MacBook Air baseline and upgrade 8gb ram and add AppleCare which is about $1395 I just don't see owning a laptop with only 128gb of space.

2. peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

Get the stock 11 inch MBA w/ 8Gb of ram. Ram is way more important.

You can always get a portable hard drive if you need more space, but ram isn't replaceable.

3. karlie thread starter macrumors newbie

I definitely want a 13 inch, I also need it to last all 4 years of college.

4. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

To be honest, I think the baseline 13" MBP with 8gb of RAM will be fine for college. I think your reasoning for choosing the MBP over the MBA is good. While I loved my MBA and will be ordering a new one this week, I think the non-Retina MBP is a good choice for a college student. AppleCare is something you should have. I learnt my lesson the hard way on that.

Plus, with the savings you can buy software or entertainment.

5. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

What kind of stuff will you be using your macbook for?

6. karlie thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll be using it for the basic stuff--browsing, word processing, movies etc. Also possibly web design, but in the span of 4 years which computer would last?

7. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

13" macbook pro or 13" macbook air should be just fine for you. You don't even really need to upgrade your ram if that is all you are going to be doing. I have a mid 2012 Macbook Pro 13" with the stock 4GB of Ram and it is running just fine.

Either machine should easily last you all four years depending on how well you take care of it.

If you do choose to upgrade your ram do it yourself, it is much much cheaper than buying it from Apple. Be sure to use your education discount to save $$$.

Personally I would go with the stock lower end Macbook Pro with 500GB of storage and 4GB of Ram. 13" of course. I used this size computer for 4 years in college and it worked out great.

8. karlie thread starter macrumors newbie

So by going with a MBP over the MBA, you don't think I will regret it 3-4 years down the road?

9. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

You won't regret either choice.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I wouldn't go with an 11". The screen real estate of those 2" makes a big difference.

Either. The cMBP is a little more flexible if you end up with more ram hungry tasks. 8GB is the lowest I would touch today, even for normal use. Recent OSX versions have been somewhat ram hungry.

11. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

You can always hold off on the AppleCare for now. You have up to a year to purchase and activate it on your new computer. That could save you a few bucks and allow you to get more storage or buy your own ram.

12. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Are you going to be watching movies or editing them?

If I were you and you're just doing basic stuff the MBA would be best, possibly the 256GB one, depending on how much media you have. You'll have a longer battery life and a lot less bulk and weight to carry around. Honestly, I wish I could go back and get a MBA. The only "performance" I need from the MBP is to do some light video editing (VHS>DVD transfers) which I haven't done.

As far as lasting, I had a 2006 MB that lasted through 2 years of college and the only reason I sold it in 2012 was because I couldn't upgrade to Lion to use iCloud. Buying a newer Mac SHOULD keep you protected for years to come.

13. brentsg macrumors 68040

Having spent ages in college, and owned several Apple notebooks, I'd definitely be buying the 13 Air for school.