MacBook for College

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Andy348, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Andy348 macrumors 6502

My sister is going into international studies or something like that and my parents are buying her a MacBook. Shes hired me (not actually hired ;)) to spec it for her. She wants a white one like mine. The specs I'm looking at are:

2.13Ghz
    2GB Ram
    160GB HD
    new Nvidia graphics
    iWork pre-installed
    Canon printer
    iPod Touch (back to school promo - is this on now?)
    Mini DVI adapter

I'm only 15 so I'm wondering if there are any college students out there who regret not getting that extra ram or hd space. Are these specs worthy?

Thanks

:apple:

2. DdMac679 macrumors member

DdMac679

You can always upgrade the Ram and HDD space later.

3. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

Thats almost definitely adequate for what she would need. Extra HD space is always good but 160gb is a decent amount any more ram than 2gb for that notebook would be overkill.
    Look at refurbished notebooks from the apple store. They are always a good buy.

4. rancorus macrumors newbie

That kind of program is really not computer intensive so the white macbook would cover everything she needs.

5. Andy348 thread starter macrumors 6502

I looked at the refurbs but she wants a white one really badly and it needs to be ordered ASAP.. there aren't any white ones in the refurb store right now.

Not to mention that she thinks that refurbs are crap even though mine was refurbished -.-

Thanks for all the input guys. Can anyone tell me if the back to school promo is still on? Can I get the iPod Touch + Printer (with mail-in rebate) online?

6. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I'd say just get a new base white MacBook. Like others have said, you can always upgrade RAM to 3 or 4 GB later. Hard drive as well. The "free" iPod touch and printer deal is still on. You actually don't have to get an iPod touch. What they do is give you back $229 in a rebate you must do online. Make double sure you do it though. It comes in extremely fast–usually 2 days. But if you don't you could be waiting around for weeks wondering where your money is. :rolleyes: So you could get a touch, nano, or classic. I got an iPod classic though. It's like I only paid $20 for it.

7. Hilmi Hamidi macrumors 6502

I think hundreds of questions of this kind exist here....
    Please do a search, like typing "macbook for college" in search bar.

8. TechHistorian macrumors member

Depending on the program, she might have to do some number-crunching (some poli sci/IR departments are quant-heavy). PASW (nee SPSS) suggests 1+ GB of RAM, so that configuration should work for her. The free iPod Touch promo is still going on in the US. I don't know about Canada (of course, if she's enrolled in a US university, she'd qualify for the program).

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...see my signature line... get a base whitebook and upgrade it yourself...

10. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

Make sure you check the education store. There will be additional discounts for the purchase if she is currently associated with a place of higher education like a University.

11. hypertc13 macrumors regular

Yes it would work and the ipod promotion is still going on. However i would almost just go for the base 13" macbook pro. It is only 150 more, there is a slight bump in processor speed, ddr3 ram instead of ddr2. And a much better screen. Although the specs arent much better, i think the difference lies in the build quality.

I have a macbook pro(it is almost 3 years old now) it is still running strong and have never really had a problem with it. My mom has a white macbook and the top case cracked where the lid makes contact with it and has some discoloration issues. They may have fixed these issues, but i still think for the $150 difference the macbook pro has the potential to last you longer than than the regular macbook

12. Andy348 thread starter macrumors 6502

My sister hates the new MBP looks.

Oh well, its ordered with the free touch + printer.

Thanks for the advice guys.

13. Laroosco macrumors member

I bought a Whitebook a few months ago for school with the exact specs you stated, and couldn't be happier.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Just wait until right before, needs always change.