MacBook for development, 4gb ram?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by teamdelfano, Feb 25, 2008.

1. teamdelfano macrumors member

I am interested in the 2.2ghz macbook, and adding 4gb of ram to it. I will be running a VM of XP, as well as Visual Studio 2005. I may also be running photoshop or dreamweaver in OSX, as well as having safari/camino open. With these applications, would a Macbook with 4gb be enough?

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

you don't really have a choice since 4gb is the max for the macbook, well not technically, but 4gb chips (I know i'm not using the right word) have yet to become available.

3. teamdelfano thread starter macrumors member

i just want something more mobile than a mini, which is what i have now, but i want to make sure it can keep up with my demands

4. aneftp macrumors 601

For anyone running Virtual Machines (either with Parallels of VMware) in Leopard, I would recommend a min. of 2GB of RAM.

Since RAM is so cheap these days go for 4GB. I got 4GB for $106 from OWC (macsales.com) and I got another 4GB from newegg just a week ago.

I have tried running XP on Parallels with just 1GB RAM. It will work but it slows the entire Leopard system to a crawl.

With 4GB, I've been able to run XP with Parallels and run Photoshop CS3 on Mac concurrently and still have over 1GB of RAM left over.

I also have a macbook 2.2 gz intel c2d with 320GB of HD

5. teamdelfano thread starter macrumors member