Macbook for everyday use / basic gaming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LuxuryServers, Mar 23, 2014.

1. LuxuryServers macrumors newbie

Hi all, So I am interested in purchasing a new macbook pro 13inch retina display..

i want to know will this be able to play basic games like skyrim / elder scrolls online / gta iv / and some other games like counter strike go and team fortress even league of legends. im just throwing basic games at you guys.

I will also use it for programming / designing and music.

I would like to purchase the macbook pro with 4gb ram or should i go with 13 inch mac book pro with 8gb ram and extra ssd space./..

thanks a lot.

2. leman macrumors 604

The games you have named are not particularly demanding, so you should be able to run them; although keep in mind that the 13" has a weaker integrated GPU and will struggle with newer titles at high resolution/good settings.

For programming, anything will do.

I would recommend you to have 8 GB RAM in this day and age. The 4GB, while enough for casual use, can very quickly become a limitation.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The integrated GPU on the 13" rMBP is going to be a major bottleneck for you. It sounds like you like to play a lot of games, if that's so then the 15" rMBP with the dGPU will be a better choice.

4. LuxuryServers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replays so not even a game like skyrim will be playable on Mac book pro with 8gb ram and intel IRS graphics on low or medium settings?

I really want a Mac book pro I won't do that much gaming other than some web browser biased games or old games like gta 4 etc.

I have a ps4 for gaming I shouldn't worry about gaming on a Mac at all.

I might purchase the 13 inch new but I am also leaning towards rmbc

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I thought skyrim was a more intensive game. I'm no gamer so I gave some very generalized recommendations. As for specific game settings/performance other members would be better resources then me.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have the 13" rMBP but Maflynn is right...If you want to play games at high res. with good frame rates, then I don't even think a laptop is the way to go...the 15" will do the job, but you won't be able to crank up the settings too high.

I look at it this way...My iMac 27" top spec 32GB Ram etc. is what I use for the only "Game" I use and it's really a simulator ( X-Plane) my laptop is used for work and web access, playing music and movies and a couple of very old games...Doom, Quake etc. My ex fiancee was an avid gamer, and she played sky rim...wasn't even happy with the 5770 in it, so I guess a high spec Windows gaming laptop might better suit your needs.

7. leman macrumors 604

Skyrim is a fairly old game now and it can run at >30 fps on an ULV CPU with HD4400 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaWTLoXAcwc)

I am sure that HD 5100 will not be any worse than that.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Really depends on the games. I use my MBP (with dGPU) for gaming but I'm not playing very demanding games.