Macbook for High School

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahanns, Jun 10, 2010.

1. ahanns macrumors newbie

I am trying to decide which Macbook to get. I am an incoming freshman in high school and I will be using the following programs regularly:
    • Safari (a lot)
    • iPhoto
    • iMovie
    • Garageband
    • Pages
    • Numbers
    • Keynote
    • iDVD (sometimes)
    I'm constantly on the computer, so good specs are important to me. I want either a 13" or a 15" Macbook Pro but I wouldn't buy one over $2,000. I would even consider getting the white Macbook if that's all I need. I also do a lot of multitasking. Thanks!

Also, if anyone can help me by posting facts that will convince my mom why I need a Macbook over my current slow, PC laptop.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Any Mac is fine. If you have 2000$ budget, the 15" with i5 and hi res screen is tempting, for me at least ;)

Macs don't get slow, they last longer, no viruses etc. Use those for your mum

3. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

To be honest you would be fine with a standard macbook.

But in the long run I think you would be better off with a mbp. You can find some nice deals in the refurb store.

4. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I agree with Classic.

Check out the refurb store for some deals. And if that doesn't interest you a baseline MBP would serve your needs just fine.

5. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Who the hell needs a nice computer for high school? i graduated 2 weeks ago and all i ever did in high school was write papers, illegally download music, and surf the web, all on a 1999 imac g3 with no upgrades that my dad got refurbed for $100 when i was in middle school. you can get through high school with ur "slow pc laptop." i got through with an even older and slower computer. you hardly ever need a computer in high school except for papers and maybe ppts. keep ur pc and get a nice-ass mbp (with the money your parents will have saved from not buying u one for hs) when u go to college.

most of the stuff u want to do doesnt even seem to relate to school, so why would your parents waste money on a computer u just want to mess around with and not really get any work done.

6. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

My daughter got through high school just fine with her HP windows laptop a few years ago. My son is in high school now and on a 13" Aluminum MB. I'm somewhat involved in his school work and see that the Mac has made things easier for him, as his teachers all use Mac, all his friends do, etc etc. So when they collaborate on projects, use ichat for virtual study groups, garage band for music class projects etc it's just a bit easier. All these things could be done on a PC but it's easier when everyone is on the same platform.

Side benefits are that he can help teachers ( a bit of brown nosing never hurts when grades are on the border), he can help me as I'm primarily PC with work, and I'm not having to constantly keep his system running right like I did with the HP.

my .02...

7. jmdMac macrumors regular

I never needed a laptop for high school, so I'm sure any will do you fine, even your current laptop.
    So I would say if anything, just get the basic macbook. It will do more than what you need it for, and should last you till college, where you may actually need an upgrade.

You don't need top of the line specs to surf the internet and/or run very non-demanding programs.
    The only justification I could see buying a mbp for you would be the backlit keyboard. But really....how much homework do they even assign in high school? Not much, but that would be the only possible reason I can see you needing anything more than a white macbook.

All that being said, I think your current laptop would do fine and save money for when you actually need more power. But if you HAVE to get a new one, the white macbook will do all and more than you need.

8. Wacky Jackson macrumors member

Wacky Jackson

I would get a used 13" Macbook pro off of ebay. It would last you longer then the white Macbook. Since the casing is aluminum not plastic. But if you rather go for something new just get the Macbook. They would both suit your needs.

9. CapFusion macrumors newbie

I went through high school and college without a Mac. All I have is an old PC from my high school to do my college work. No one need to have a fancy MB/P just to waste time or to impress their teacher of know-how. Let your child earn their own merit without your support. Student life is hard, s/he needed to figure thing out and to solve thing at their early life and will be a step easier later in life, unless you want to continue to support your child until s/he reach of age 100s?

10. Furifo macrumors 6502

I was debating on whether or not to buy a Mac as well. Various members of this forum helped bring me round to deciding to get one :)

I'll be using mine for University so probably similar in nature to what you'll be using yours for. The base 13" MBP or even the MB is all you will need for what you want to do with it. I'd say go for that. Just because you CAN spend $2000 doesn't mean you HAVE too ;)

Reasons for persuading the mother?
    1) Less time spent worrying about viruses and spyware so more time to concentrate on your studies.
    2) Battery life pretty much wipes the floor with any other notebook out there in its class.
    3) Very user-friendly interface
    4) Much more stable operating system than Windows 7.

I'd also get AppleCare if I were you.

11. hypermog macrumors regular

Wow I remember when I was your age! I begged my mom to buy me a 233mhz custom PC. Those were the days! Have fun :D

12. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Are you guys nuts? High school, 2010, no computer?

13. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

They're not arguing that he shouldn't have a computer. He already has one and they are saying that'll be enough to get him through high school.

14. exe163 macrumors regular

HS senior here. Really any laptop will do. All you need is MS word and internet, for school at least. I don't think edu discount applies to high schools, though I just got mine and they don't ask for any confirmation.

15. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

Can't speak for what homework they assign in your locale, but here in SoCal, my son has more homework than I ever had in college. they work their butts off, and it's extremely competive and important to do well for college admissions. Anything that can give an edge will pay for itself easily. Yes, an old PC will do the job and in many schools it probably doesn't matter. In our school district, they are heavily into the Mac and it is an advantage to having one, white or aluminum.

mg

16. Doju macrumors 68000

Macs are great for high school, any Mac will suffice really.

No viruses alone is enough for me. But then again I didn't have to convince my mother what to buy in high school, it was my money.

17. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

the first intel core 2 duo macbook would be fine for you
    the programs you mentioned aren't so demanding that it needs a macbook pro but i suppose if the parents are willing to buy you a macbook pro... why not :apple:

18. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Keep your current laptop and get an iPad. Just because you can.