MacBook for Illustrator

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aerobeaver, Oct 3, 2007.

1. aerobeaver macrumors newbie

I'm looking to by a Mac laptop (preferably the MacBook for the size and cost), but I have some concerns about the graphics. I'm an engineering grad student so I spend most of my time in Matlab, but I also use a bit of Illustrator and Photoshop. I use Illustrator mainly to make posters (A1 size with gradients, drop shadows, linked jpgs and whatnot). My Photoshop use has thus far been pretty limited, mostly cropping, scaling, touching up my photos.

Does anyone have any experience running Illustrator (and/or Photoshop, Matlab) on a Macbook? Are these the kind of tasks that are suitable for the MacBook or would it require the MacBook Pro?

Thanks!

2. kerotab macrumors member

kerotab

I have CS2 on my C2D macbook and don't have any problems with it. It works well for me.

3. Mr. B macrumors regular

photoshop suite cs3 is native, so that would be the one you want to get.

That being said, I use photoshop cs on my ibook g4 1.2 ghz with 1.25 gigs of ram at blazing fast speeds.

This is at 11 x 17 300 dpi and 40+ layers. I do my illustrations directly into it using a large wacom tablet as well.

My trick? Get a really fast and good external hardrive and use it as your primary scratch disk. (easy to setup up, right in the preferences of photoshop, illustrator, etc.)

So, anyways, get a good external scratch disk and you should be fine.

(I use a firewire 400 mybook 250 gig)

4. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Mac Book runs Illustrator and Photoshop just fine. CS2 worked well enough on 1GB memory even with Rosetta. CS3 is native and I've had no problems with that either.

Had the Mac Book running Bridge, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Safari, Mail, calculator, and Pages, and iTunes all at the same time with no problems.

5. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

CS3 running just fine on this here BlackBook. Illustrator is actually rather nice with the trackpad ... I did the photo trace that adorns the blog in my sig in Illustrator, and it was a pleasure to do ...

Cheers

Jim

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign CS3 run fine on my macBook with 1 gig of ram (although more would be even better) .. :)

7. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

There are some people in my design program who opted to get Macbooks with a gig of ram instead of the recommended MBP with 2 gigs. There have been some times where they have actually reached the limit and got the "cannot complete operation not enough memory" message.

8. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

That would be an ecumenical matter.

Cheers!

Jim

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Great episode Jim .... :)

But then there wasn't any crap ones .... we have the full boxed set of DVD's ... magic :):)

Drink .. Girls .. Ar*e .. Fe*k .... etc.etc.

FJ

10. mox123 macrumors 6502

i run mathematica 6 and adobe CS3 just fine on your 2.16GHz white macbook just fine with 2GB of RAM. i thought a video card is important when one does 3D video editing only....