Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dBC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Hello,

I'm a complete mac idiot, but I've got an idea for an iPhone app I would like to write, and I'm looking for a good Mac to develop with. I'm thinking the white unibody MacBook would be a good fit. If I get it, I would probably retire my windows laptop, and run Win7 on the Mac. I don't (initially) see myself doing much on the Mac partition except iPhone development.

Would this be a good machine for what I want to do?

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
first, you're going to have to spend over $1,000 on a mac. second, you need to learn how to program objective c, and cocoa, and how to use xcode, etc. third, you need to pay apple $100 just to submit your app, and you have to hope that they approve it. so is it really worth it? hell yeah foo!

dBC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
well, I bought the MacBook today. Right now I'm in the middle of the 2.5GB iPhone SDK download.

Any tips to get it all working?

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
Or you could spend half of that on a Mac. The Mac Mini can run Xcode just fine (about any computer built after 1990 can run a text editor and compiler).

but then u need to buy a monitor, and the look on the non-apple monitors look like crap. also, u can take your laptop with u, u cant do that with a desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.