Macbook for IT?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MomoSD, Oct 27, 2013.

1. MomoSD macrumors newbie

I work for a managed service provider that currently supports about 90% Windows machines and 10% Macs. We're getting more and more Mac clients and while I am able to support the basics, I'd like to have more intimate knowledge of them. Since it's time for me to get a new laptop, I've been seriously considering making the switch. So most of my questions are for those who use Mac's for supporting Windows based machines (I will be running VMWare with a Windows VM for some company specific applications I need to run).

I guess my big question is how hard of a transition is it to go from using a Windows machine to support Windows servers/networks, to using a Mac to do the same thing? We support everything at our company from the demark to the desktop.

Secondly, I'm debating which spec to go for. I'd like this machine to last me at least 3-4 years so I'm going with at least the 15", 16gigs of RAM and 512GB hard drive. I'm not sure if I should go with the 2.3ghz model or the 2.6ghz. I don't plan to use the machine for much more then work and probably watching movies while at home. I have a desktop that will be used for any gaming I'd need to do so that wont be a deal breaker for me.

Any input will be welcomed.

2. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

I am new to mac as well so cant answer your questions there. However, I can say that I wouldn't worry about upgrading the processor. I don't believe there would be a noticeable difference.

3. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I'd say for you the CPU boost isn't a big deal. 16GB of RAM will run VMs very nicely. I've been a mac guy my whole life so I can't help with any transitioning tips. The one thing I'd be sure to know how easily VMs can do networking stuff (I'm sure someone here knows), VMs can have some unusual setups, but I would think you would be fine once you found the right settings.

4. Isamilis macrumors 6502

OP, I think, you can first browse the App Store, which application that you may need to do windows admin through Mac. Your needs obviously vary from the others.
    For the screen, do you really need 15"? It's quite heavy. My opinion 13" should serve your needs, and you still can connect to external monitor. If you didn't write much (or coding the script, checking the log, etc), then you may find Air 11" is perfect choice.