MacBook for Recording Audio

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sporadicMotion, Nov 25, 2008.

1. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

So I use my 2.0 SR WhiteBook for recording audio and I've hit a processing power wall so I've decided it's time for a new machine. I'll be getting a mac pro after Christmas but I need to be able to work on the go too... so, my question is this. I'm trying to decide between the 2.4 MacBook or go a full jump to the 2.53 MBP... if they offered a 2.53 MacBook, I'd be all over it. In the world of audio though, will the extra cache and bit of power really make that much of a difference? ... or will the 2.4 suffice?

2. lxuser macrumors newbie

your laptop should have more than enough processing power for audio recording. Maybe you should invest in is fast 7200 rpm external drives to record onto if you havent already. this might be what is causing your sense of lack of power, as your computer is constantly trying to keep up with the writing of your audio recording onto slower drives.

alternately, for audio the macbook is out of the question, no firewire which instantly nixes like 80 percent of audio equipment to start with. the new macbook pro does have firewire, so thats a possiblilty. a very cheap route would be to pick up the last generation whitebook or blackbook for SUPER cheap at a lot of stores (im talking 999, 899 etc), which are on par with the new macbook really, except for graphics cards, and will still have firewire to boot!

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

1 phrase that might halt any more thinking of the Macbook.

No Firewire

4. sporadicMotion thread starter macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

I already have a 7200 rpm drive... that's not the issue... it is DEFINITELY a processing issue. With the amount of processing I'm running per track not to mention the number of damn tracks... it's getting to be crazy :p I've sat there watching my CPU rocket to 100% usage while mixing down... and that's where I start running into issues. I end up getting these mix downs that have only half the song with the second half as dead space. The dead space only occurs at points where an additional channel (with yet more processing) kicks in.

Firewire I'm not tooooo concerned about because of the soon existence of a Mac Pro under my desk... and I never drag any of the big toys away from home. I'm also not too keen on another plastic MacBook considering I've experienced a couple cracking issues... SOOOOO...

back to the original question...

EDIT: now I'm reconsidering the firewire thing... dammit. Well that still just leaves the question of the processor... I'll just choose between 2.4 and 2.53 MBP... so question still stands :p

5. whiskers macrumors newbie

Most audio interfaces for recording use USB.

6. Matt Gnarly macrumors member

The good ones use firewire.

7. sporadicMotion thread starter macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

All my equipment is firewire... except for one cheesy USB mic that never gets used.

8. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Seconded!!

9. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Does anyone know of a good USB Multi Track interface? I'm in the same boat as the OP (MacPro coming next year), but need to do a bit of recording... will I be able to find a good enough USB interface, or will I have to lug my PC and monitor around when I want to record anything of decent quality?

10. sporadicMotion thread starter macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Well, damn you. I'm getting the MacBook Pro for the firewire. I got so used to having it on my WhiteBook that I forgot about it and now after thinking about it, it's really my only option... there are some tools I'll want to bring with me and it'll frustrate me if I can't.

Let the count down begin. Two weeks to go.

11. shakysam macrumors newbie

Well, the REALLY good ones use firewire. There are plenty of decent audio interfaces that use USB connections. Digidesign's Mbox, for example; it might not be studio-grade, but it's certainly very good at what it does.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're studio grade, you shouldn't be using a MacBook.

13. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Exactly.

People bitch about not being able to use $1000 audio equipment on a $1300 laptop. :rolleyes:

Maybe they all use $75 dollar ketchup on their no-name brand hotdogs ;)

14. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

You can use your fabled $1000 audio equipment on a $999 laptop (the white macbook).

Why?