MacBook for School

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marksandvig, Apr 16, 2010.

1. marksandvig macrumors regular

Hey all. I have the original '06 MacBook (2.0 Core Duo) with 2 GB of ram. I have been waiting to upgrade and I had my eyes set on the 13" mbp. I dont really want to spend the extra cash on the 15" especially because I love the size my 13" is now. My roommate has the 15 and I feel like its a bit too big because I take it everywhere. Since the update on Tuesday, I have been trying to decide whether I should update my PC and buy an iPad (~$1000) or get the newest mbp even though the dismal upgrades. My MacBook has been out of warranty for about a year, and macofalltrades has offered me $400 for my MacBook. I know C2D is old tech, but I also realize that for me going from slow ddr2 at 2gb to faster ddr3 at 4gbs with a speedier CPU would probably be quite a jump. Is there anyone out there in a similar situation that switched from their original core duo to C2D that can better relate on the actual speed increases between the two? As you can see, I don't upgrade often and I will atleast keep my machines until the Applecare is up. Sorry for another one of these guys, but I thought I'd ask before dropping ~$800. I would of course wait until summer for the student perks (iPod).

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i went from a 2006 2ghz cd mb to the newest model mb. i cant tell a difference in what i use it for performance wise. only reason i upgraded was because i could for 150

3. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

A stock whitebook to a stock MBP, you won't notice a thing.
    I have currently, a 2.4 blackbook, and I went to a 2.26 13" MBP, and it made 0 difference.

If you are OK with your screen (it isn't too dark) and the trackpad, then I'd stay and save the money. Shove in 4gb of ram, and it will feel WAYYY different. I bought my girlfriend a MBP and she only has 2gb, her computer feels ancient and slow even when i bought it.

You can also install an SSD, a 160GB Intel is around 400 dollars, if you really like your current computer just do this, (or put in a 80GB for 200ish), and it will be faster than a stock i5 system.

The newer MBPs are just hardware updates, nothing groundbreaking, just Apple figured what works better and went with it. Lighted keyboards, LED backlight, the trackpad, metal, ect. If you like it buy it, if you love your current laptop then stick with it.

If you sell put it on ebay or something 400 is really low for a MB.

4. thecheda macrumors 6502

Forgot

You make a good point about the school programs Apple usually holds in Sept. I think I will wait as well for that free ipod, etc.

5. marksandvig thread starter macrumors regular

I have the original Core Duo with the 667mhz DDR2. This model only takes up to 2gb (which is what I have in it).

6. marksandvig thread starter macrumors regular

Could you elaborate? What were your uses for it?