macbook for writing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mpm3x3x3, Jul 28, 2015.

1. mpm3x3x3 macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2015
    Posted this to the "buyers guide" thread, but didn't get much help there - I'm a literature professor, needing to replace my 2009 13" pro, and considering the new macbook. I love the idea of ultraportability (I work in archives and libraries a lot), and I don't mind the lack of ports, but has anyone used the new macbook for intensive writing? I'm midway through writing a big academic book, and worry that the macbook's screen might be a bit small, and that it somehow might seem too flimsy for daily heavy use. Basically, I want to know if this computer can be a serious work computer (for word processing and pdf based work), or whether it's a glorified facebook machine. Any advice very appreciated!
  2. redheeler macrumors 603

Oct 17, 2014
    You can use a scaled resolution to get the same amount of screen space you would on your old MBP, and the Retina display will reduce eye-strain. I think the rMB is a fine choice for that kind of work.
  3. Dayv macrumors 6502

Aug 18, 2009
    Agreed. And many people find that they prefer the new MB's keyboard after they get over the initial adjustment period. I think full-time writing on it is absolutely viable.