Macbook freezes after being dropped (browsers only)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nomad Vagabond, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Nomad Vagabond macrumors newbie

Nomad Vagabond

Hello Folks!

I've got quite an issue regarding my Macbook 10.4.11 and any suggestion from you guys is very welcomed.

2 months ago, I dropped my Macbook, as I was standing, it was quite a considerable free fall for the laptop. Externally, nothing happened, perhaps a small scratch or two.

The first sign that something went wrong came after a few minutes browsing through Safari, as it froze and left me with no other option than rebooting the machine. Sad enough, these freezing sections occurred quite frequently obliging me to format the machine (hoping it would be a software issue caused by the dropping)

To my discontentment, once the Macbook was successfully formated, the issue persisted on Safari, I then tried Camino, but I wasn't lucky, as Camino displayed the same symptoms (freezing)

I am not an expert but after all these frustrated attempts to fix my machine I started to think that it might be a hardware issue (which brings me to this forum seeking for aid)

It is important to mention that any other application, works perfectly fine with no sign of freezing, the problem really is with the browsers and internet.

If the problem (assumption) lays around a hardware damage due to the unfortunate dropping, wouldn't it affect also the functionality of applications in the whole machine?

Does anybody experienced something similar to that?

Thank you all!

2. rabbitjetta macrumors member

It sounds like you may have messed up the hard drive from the fall, which is common from being dropped from a high fall. I would recommend that you back up your files and look at getting a new hard drive installed.