Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarkComplex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Hi, everyone.

Please do excuse me if I ramble and move on to throw a few insults, it's just me dealing with everything going on with my computer. :/

So, okay, I happen to have an 13-inch MacBook (aluminum). Before I move on to point out all the problems I'm having, I guess I should point out I bought it from BestBuy, and open box. Don't worry, no need to scold me, I've learned my lesson.

What happens with it is that it freezes at random. Completely. It doesn't do a thing. I can't move the mouse, and nothing on the screen moves. This forces me to do a hard reboot. Sometimes, when that happens, when I turn the computer back on, airport doesn't appear. I check on networks, and it won't turn itself on. I have to turn off the computer and turn it back on until it decides to appear.

Apart from that, there are times where Airport randomly decides to shut itself off. At the top, I can see the Airport icon but the signal lines are gone. It's completely blank, as if I had turned it off. If I try to turn it back on, it doesn't do it. I click to turn it back on and it doesn't do anything.

I took it to BestBuy since I have a warranty with them. First time, they said my harddrive was faulty and they'd replace it with no cost. Fair enough. When I picked it up a week and a half later, the problem was still there! I left it at BestBuy again, and the guy told me that he can't find a problem with it. That he had run all the tests and that my computer passed them all without a problem. He checked everything, and yet the problem is still there.

He told me that it could be a software issue, in which case I would have to re-install the OS but I had done that 3 times before, and the problem still persisted. Right now I can't re-install the OS, since I lost the disks and I am in the process of ordering them from Apple, but in the mean time, does someone know what the problem might be? This is really frustrating, and BestBuy won't replace it because they can't find a damn thing whilst I had to restart my computer approximately 8 times yesterday alone!

-Sigh- Any help would be appreciated.

ronoman

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2007
I have a very similar problem with my 3.5 yr old Macbook. It freezes up at any time (it may run normally for 24 hrs) and I found that if I tap on the left side next to the trackpad, It unfreezes. But, in about 5 seconds, Airport drops out. Now, I have to manually induce sleep and then wake again to get airport to reconnect. The strangest thing is that sometimes, If I pick up the Macbook about an inch off of a stationary surface, it freezes. I have tried everything possible; reinstall system, replacement hard drive, ram, airport card, turn off sudden motion sensor, to name a few. No help. I am totally frustrated. Apple tech support can't seem to identify what's happening either.

mediadot

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2010
Same problem, Please HELP!

I am having exactly the same problem with my MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Intel duo core running Mac Os 10.5.8. Computer freezes randomly and some times the airpot just goes off and can not get it back on. Restart brings everything to normal but just for a moment.
This problem started a few days ago. I know I did some security update from Apple maybe a day before. Coincidence?

PLEASE HELP !!!

tam5070

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
Airport shutting off

I had a similar problem and it lasted for about a month, getting worse as it went along. Eventually the airport card just wasnt detected anymore. Took it to a service center and it was a bad card. They replaced it under apple care and it's all fixed now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.