MacBook freezes on startup, freezes every few seconds when on! HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Brennanx1, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Brennanx1 macrumors newbie

My MacBook just randomly started failing, it freezes when I try to turn it on, takes forever to get to sign in, and if it does log in, it freezes every few seconds for about 30 seconds each time. Usually it doesn't even get past the login screen.
    When it started~ I was browsing the internet on sites I've always used before (for years) and safari froze, which was only open application. Being that it froze for about 1 minute and still didnt unfreeze, I found it unusual. I force powered it down since force quit didn't work. When I turned it back on, it went verrrry slow, took about an hour to get to login screen. I logged on on safe mode, and couldn't find the problem. It still went slow in safe mode.
    Basically, my computer acts as if it's only 100mb of ram -.-
    Any way I can fix this issue?
    Please help!

2. Brennanx1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Disk permissions

Would repairing disk permissions work in safe mode?

3. Brennanx1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Repairing the permissions

Update- I began repairing disk permissions, and so far there's about 3000 things it looks like that were incorrect, could this be the problem?
    Edit- sorry not 3000, more like 7000-10000 now :/

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It very well could be.

5. Brennanx1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm..

It finished, I'm guessing it should work after a restart. Will keep you informed.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

sounds good.

7. Brennanx1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh

Well it started up quickly, but right after the login screen it froze at the blue screen (not safe mode), any ideas? :(

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Hmm. Have you ran the hardware test just to be sure? I would try reinstalling OSX. I know there are probably some other things you can do first, but if its software related at all, a reinstall of SL will solve the problem.

9. Brennanx1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hardware test

Hardware test? I have never heard of that. And I do still have my snow leopard disk :D how do you do a hardware test?

10. Brennanx1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still not working

I reinstalled snow leopard and it still isn't working. Is there any way ram could have been disconnected? Or any other suggestions? Please help