Macbook Freezes on Startup

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sheepopo39, Mar 4, 2011.

1. sheepopo39 macrumors 6502

My Macbook won't boot. I inserted a live cd into my dvd drive and restarted. After I realized I forgot to hold option, I didn't feel like re booting and just held the power button to restart. I turned it back on and left to go find the right cd.

I came back like 10 minutes later with the desktop loaded, but the Macintosh HD wasn't there and the menu bar had only about half of the icons on it. The mouse was also the Spinning Beach Ball of Death. So I hard shut it off (think so) and turn it back on. When I restarted, I got the standard os x grey loading screen, but with a grey progress bar below the spinning gear. I left it for a while and the progressed bar disappeared, but the spinning gear and apple logo remained. I restarted and repeated this multiple times until after leaving it for half an hour, I gave up.

I know that the progress bar appears when you shut off the computer while it is starting up, but it should still have started. I can still boot off of other data mediums so backing up shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone know how to fix this? Should I get a genius appointment?

2. sheepopo39 thread starter macrumors 6502

Disk utility said that the disk cannot be repaired and to backup my data and reformat it. Is there any way that I can salvage the data from it?

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Do you have a external drive? If you boot your OS X dvd you can make a disk image of the hdd.

4. sean800, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

sean800 macrumors member

5. eman macrumors 6502a

Try starting your mac in "safe mode" and see if it can repair your startup files.
    Safe mode- hold the "shift key" down just after hitting the power button.