MacBook Freezes, Stops working and Apps stop Responding

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Spagheti, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Spagheti macrumors newbie

My MacBook was working fine this morning, It was not until I returned home after work that it started to have issues. It became unresponsive and I restarted it by holding the power button, ever since then Apps stop working very frequently and become unresponsive, sometimes to the point where every app does including finder and activity monitor and I have to restart the computer.

I freed up some space since my hard drive was nearly full since I thought that might be it, I freed up about 35 gb's. That seemed to barely help.

Then I downloaded iAntivirus to see if it was that but that didn't help much either.

Then I tried to Verify the HD in Disk Utility and it said "The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.
    Error: This disk needs to be repaired. ...then use Disk Utility to repair this disk."

Here are some specs of my Mac.

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
    Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook6,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB61.00C8.B00

Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Well, first things first, I would back up the computer if you don't already have a backup in place. Secondly, you can only run the Repair Disk while booted to something other than you Macintosh HD, like a external hard drive, or a Mac OS X DVD. If the Repair Disk fails, odds are you have to format the hard drive, which shouldn't be a problem if you backed up, and then reinstall your operating system, then recover from the backup. If, on the other hand, the Repair Disk is successful or reports that it was able to repair the damage, restart the computer and see if there is any improvement.

3. Spagheti thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what I ended up having to do. Thanks for the advice.

It seems to be working much better now.