Macbook freezes when running media from External Hard drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by robotbee, Apr 22, 2013.

1. robotbee macrumors newbie

Hello I have a Macbook running Mountain Lion 10.8.3. I just bought a WD My Passport for Mac and have put everything I need to on it.

Whenever I try to play a movie from my external hard drive my mac freezes. Sometimes I can still watch the movie but the beach ball is there. Other times the picture has frozen but I hear audio and most times everything just freezes and I have to wait at least 10 minutes for force quit to pop up, and sometimes I just have to shut the power off manually. It's quite frustrating.

I did a disk utility check for my mac AND for my external hard drive and everything seemed to be fine. Also there have been a few times where the screen has gone black when I've tried playing media on my external hard drive. It seems to happen it I move the screen (or that's just my mind) it hasn't happened in a while though.

Any help or suggestions on what to do about the freezing would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Same thing happens to my MB... I would put a external HD on and when I wanted to unplug it from my MB, it would freeze up the computer. I have to do a hard reset every time. Any suggestions, guys?

3. biggbird72 macrumors newbie

To both the OP and replier,

Is this only happening when trying to play video off the external? Or does it not matter the media?

4. raghav2511 macrumors member

I had a similar problem with my MBP (2011); the screen would freeze for more than a few seconds as soon as I plugged in any USB device. The culprit was "Android File Transfer". I uninstalled it, and everything was back to normal.

You might wanna check up on similar software, which were recently installed. Try removing them. Restart your Mac and check if it still happens.