Macbook Freezes when Starting Up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AppleSingh, Jan 30, 2008.

1. AppleSingh macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I am running Mac OS X 10.5.1 on a Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.16 with 4 gb ram. The other day, my mac froze while in screensaver mode, so i turned it off.

When I went to turn it back on, it stayed on the Apple logo screen for a while with the circle turning under it, and after 5 or so minutes it just restarts.

I have tried clearing the PRAM with no results. When I go to startup disk mode, my start up disk DOES appear.

I popped in my leopard disc and figured Id try an archive and install, but when I try to install, the HD has a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it. When I choose to install it there, it says I need to change the installation settings, but the only installation setting that is available is to erase everything.

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. bwawn macrumors member

Start your Mac up in verbose mode by holding down command-V. At the point where the Apple logo and spinning pinwheel appear, it should now be a black background with white text. Let go of command-V at this point.

Look for something similar to the following among all the text there:

kernel[0]: disk0s2: 0xe0030005 (UNDEFINED)

If you see an error like that -- specifically, disk0s2 followed shortly by UNDEFINED -- then you have a failing hard drive.

The only fix is to have your hard drive replaced.

3. oxymoron2007 macrumors member

My Macbook won't boot either.

I get the same error message in single user mode.

Can someone confirm that it is indeed a hard drive failure? Also, why does Disk Utility not recognize this error?

Thanks!

P.S. I already have an appointment with the Mac Geniuses tomorrow; I just want more information before I have to convince them to replace my hard drive.