MacBook freezing after SL Reinstall

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by davidg4781, Dec 2, 2011.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Ok, my ISP sucks so, long story short, I had to do a reinstall of Snow Leopard on my 2.0 CD MacBook.

I did this a few days ago, everything's up to date and set, and since then, it's started freezing in the middle of something. Other times I may have had a processor intensive website or something in the background, but this last time all I had was a video playing in iTunes. It could be that it's overheating, but shouldn't it warn me or something instead of just freeze? Will it unfreeze once it cools down, if this is even the cause?

All times it has frozen my new iPhone 4S was plugged in. Also, I did the reinstall right when the latest version of Safari came out, and Safari has been open each time it froze.

Thoughts? Suggestions on how to pinpoint what's going on?

2. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

And it just did it again, and all I had open was Safari on MacRumors and Firefox on Facebook.

I did have my iPhone plugged in. I unplugged it, reset, and will see what happens.

3. Elbert C macrumors 6502

If you launch Disk Utility from Applications > Utilities, choose Macintosh HD from the list then hit the Verify button, any errors come up?

4. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Verified Permissions, repaired them, and so far so good.

Thanks!

5. Elbert C macrumors 6502

I meant Verify Disk not Permissions. But if it's working....

6. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I figured. I did that first and everything came back fine. Figured I'd try the permissions and had a bunch of issues. Weird for a 2 day old install that has nothing but updates on it.

7. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Sorry, so far it's working, another reason it may have been freezing was having my iPhone connected to my MacBook. I had an issue with my Apple ID and was unable to sign on. I'm not sure if this would cause it, but I'm trying not to sync it or anything until they can sort it out.