Macbook freezing and kernel panicing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zbest56, Jul 8, 2015.

1. zbest56 macrumors newbie

For the past several months I have been putting up with a really annoying problem with my macbook. Every day, several times it will freeze up. Normally I just force restart it and its good. But if i leave it, it will eventually kernel panic with "launchd died" and restart and then give me the flashing folder icon. Then if i restart it all goes smoothly. The hard drive in this computer is just over a year old so I know thats not the issue. The macbook in question is quite old so anything can be wrong with it, but I cannot afford a new one so I'm stuck. Its a late 08 unibody with a core 2 duo, 4gb RAM a 9600m GT, and a 9400m GT both with 256mb VRAM and a 1tb hybrid drive.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You are right it could be anything, it's usually graphics failure in that vintage though. Try using GFXcard status app to control which graphics card is used if you stick to the 9400m it might be better but try both.

3. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

You could check the RAM, when I upgraded my RAM from 4 to 8, I had kernels panics at least once every few days. It seems unlikely since you didn't seem to have upgraded your RAM but I would check to make sure.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Go to this folder and look for the crash log from the date/time of the crash and post it here so we can take a look.

Code:
    /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

5. zbest56 thread starter macrumors newbie

I probably should have mentioned this, but the 9400m in this laptop is toast. Within seconds of it being enabled I start getting "unidentified caller" popups and they come right back up when you click okay. Also for some reason the HDD goes into read only mode. If i try to delete a file, or take a screenshot for example it won't let me. How that in any way is related to the GPU is beyond me. But I've been using the 9600m exclusively for a while now and it runs smoothly, until it freezes that is.

Anyway, here is one of my crash logs. They are all the same, not different. Just to clarify. Its from a while back, because usually it doesn't get far enough to panic before I force restart the machine.

Attached Files:

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try holding the shift key at startup to boot to safe mode. That will prevent any login or startup items from running. See if that helps. If that does help, it means you have a launch or startup item launchd is trying to run that is causing the problem.

I would start by removing these two. I know Soundflower has caused trouble for others.

7. zbest56 thread starter macrumors newbie

I Already tried that with no luck. And i don't use soundflower.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

In your crash report Soundflower is showing as a loaded kext, so you do have it on there. Perhaps you uninstalled earlier, but did not get everything. But is is definitely running.