Macbook freezing/going to sleep, is this a good solution?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Christopher11, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Christopher11 macrumors regular

Christopher11

I have a fairly new MacBook, bought it in November. It's the white kind, not the new one. I love it, have been really happy with it.

Lately, something has been happening where I go to wake it up and it stays asleep, and i have to power down, then back up. Then it's fine. In one case the mouse froze up and I had to do the same.

I did software update, it's up to 10.5.6. I was thinking now i would run Disk Utility, and run scripts in Onyx.

Does this sound like a good plan? Any other suggestions on maintenance to prevent this issue?

Thanks so much for any replies!

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Yes the SMC is a good first step.

Have you installed any third party RAM recently? Maybe you have peripherals attached when it is going to sleep.

3. bigphun73 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue myself. I installed 4 GB Crucial RAM and thought it was that. I then installed a 500 GB HD, and restored the computer but I still have the same issue.

I thought maybe the restore would help but it didn't. I just tried resetting the SMC to see if that works. If the problem persists then I may take in. It is annoying that I close the MacBook and come back to reset it. :confused:

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Reset your PRAM by holding down command-option-p-r at startup until it chimes twice.

Have you had any freezes while in use? If so, it probably is the RAM.

5. bigphun73 macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks for the tip. I just reset the PRAM. It doesn't freeze while its on. Just when It goes to sleep. I will update if this works.

6. raremage macrumors 6502a

We just saw something weird like this on a blackbook we have - tried all sorts of things and it turned out to be an update to the EFI firmware made all the weird little issues go away. Could check for firmware updates as another potential fix.

7. Christopher11 thread starter macrumors regular

Christopher11

Thank you to all you guys, what a great forum. Will try all these suggestions and get back to you. Thanks again.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Crucial ram, 4gb kits, are causing all kinds of problems in the new MacBooks (FWIW).

9. bigphun73 macrumors newbie

Great!! :(