Macbook freezing revisited

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by muskett32, Sep 19, 2009.

1. muskett32 macrumors member

A while back I posted about freezing issues with my Macbook. Thinking back, it may have started happening after I replaced the stock 250GB 54000rpm hard drive with a 500GB 7200rpm hard drive. Could this be causing the machine to lock up because of heat? I do notice it get pretty hot where the hard drive sits. I would try putting the old HD back in, but unfortunately I have exceeded its capacity on my current HD. Just curious if anyone has experienced lock ups because of the 7200rpm HD. This is a Macbook unibody, not a Macbook Pro.

Just as a recap, what happens is that it will just lock up. The mouse won't move and the keyboard doesn't respond. It just stops. Once rebooted, it's fine. Does it about once a day at random times.

Thanks again guys for any help.

2. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

my suggestion because you dont want to put your old HD in.DO A TIMEMACHINE BACKUP.Boot from your install disk and selected restore from backup and then let it do its thing, it will pretty much reformat your HD shouldnt take to long it took about an hour for me but i only had 70gb of stuff on it so can be longer but try that and tell me what happens.:)

3. muskett32 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for your reply, but I'm a little confused as to what this would accomplish. After I restore the TM backup, I'll end up with the same data on the same hard drive as before.

4. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

yes, but the problem here seems to be your hard drive, as in it may be fragmented or have some corrupted files on it. what restoring from a back up does is that it complete gets rid of all files on the drive and then pretty much reinstalls everything. You could of course do a clean install which can be an alternative but i suggest you give restoring from back up a shot considering its alot easier and faster.

5. ahm macrumors member

I bought an iMac with the same problem. I checked the System Profiler and saw that it was failing power on self-tests. I watched Activity Monitor while I recreated the freeze. I was getting tons of page outs. I replaced the RAM and it stopped happening. I also cleaned the old thermal paste off and reapplied some new paste. That never hurts.

Also, most recently I bought a "broken" 1st generation Macbook that would freeze up a lot, sometimes it wouldn't start up again. It turned out it had a bad RAM slot. I'm not sure how it happened, but since I stopped using the slot, I stopped having problems.

So my suggestion is to check your RAM. Also, boot up your installation disc and run a disk repair.