MacBook Freezing/Slow Loading. The Battery?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacFoo, Jan 8, 2010.

1. MacFoo macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. Hope you could help me diagnose my MacBook's problem. My MacBook is about 3 years old now. Its processor speed is 2GHz and originally had 1Gb of RAM. It runs on OS X 10.4.11.

I don't install any junk and keep the desktop clean. I mostly stream video, and edit photos.

I guess the probs originally started with my my Safari randomly closing on me. Eventually, the MacBook would freeze when I opened iPhoto. I figured it's about time I get some more RAM. So I upgraded from 1Gb to 2Gb. I also formatted the machine and did a clean install (I think that's what it's called).

So I don't have any of the above problems much or at all anymore. What I do have is an extremely slow start up. I'll see the apple screen for a while. Then, the Mac OS X loading screen for short while relative to the other waiting periods. Before I could use the Mac, I'll have to wait on a blue screen for maybe 5 mins before everything else including the mouse arrow appears.

Aside from the slow start up, the Mac freezes if I close it and then open it up. The beach ball also regularly appears when downloading updates.

A recent finding that I noticed is that the MagSafe wiring is partially melted. I read somewhere on here that not using a battery with a MacBook or having a bad battery could slow down the start up process.

Could a damaged battery as the result of the MagSafe adaptor be the root cause of my problems or is it one of many root causes?

Update (1/11/10): Last night my MacBook didn't boot up. It would show the loading screen with the apple and then switch over to a black screen that looks similar to DOS. It apparently continued to try to restart but failed and ended with a message, something like "I have no name!".

I appreciate any help. Going to get a new MagSafe adaptor today.

2. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Damaged electrical wiring can and does cause problems - you really shouldn't leave expensive equipment plugged in to something that obviously has an electrical fault.

I would have originally thought you need to "rebuild permissions" - do you do that regularly?

However your problem seems to have become bigger. Do you happen to have the hardware diagnostics disc that came with your computer?

3. MacFoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. I haven't plugged in the Mbook anymore.

I'm going to try to get the MagSafe adaptor repaired or get a used one off craigslist. I didn't regularly repair permissions, but I did start doing it after I learned about it. But after reformatting and doing a clean install, it shouldn't really matter so much should it? In the end I did repair permissions anyways.

I have two discs that came with the laptop and one with the Applecare (Just expired a few months ago :( so Apple didn't replace my adaptor yesterday.). For today I'm going to try to resolve my adaptor.

Thanks.

4. MacFoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Using the same MacBook with a good condition MagSafe adaptor. Ran the hardware diagnostics off of the disc. The result is that there is no hardware problems identified. I tried to rebuild permissions again a while ago, but seconds after accessing the Utilities folder that window disappears. This happened twice or thrice so far. I would get into the folder, while it tried to load and display what's inside the folder, it closed. I'll try to rebuild permissions again. Before trying anything, I tried resetting PMU. I think that's what it's called.

Update:I just got through repairing the permissions. The Mac hesitated a little, but the icons showed up unlike before. If the diagnostics show no hardware problem, could there still be hardware problems?

5. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Is there an Apple store near you - this all looks odd and you may need further help

6. MacFoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Chappers. I went ahead and got a new hard drive installed, and it did the trick.

So I guess the moral of this story is that a hardware diagnostics test doesn't always catch a bad hard drive.