macbook freezing up

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 2056, May 4, 2009.

1. 2056 macrumors 6502

i purchased an iMac in early 2008 (20 inch/2.0 c2d). it was a fantastic computer but i soon realized that portability was more important to me so it was sold.
    now in 2009, i have the 2.0 aluminum macbook stock version. i've noticed since i've had the computer that one website in particular will freeze up on me. it's where i read my celebrity gossip (don't judge!) so it's quite picture heavy. i'll be scrolling through and it will just stop and i get the beach ball icon for a few seconds..over and over. i never had this problem with the imac.

could this issue all be from the differences in graphic cards..or something more serious?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could give us a link to see if anyone else experiences the same issues.

Have yo tried with another browser?

3. 2056 thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm, i guess it is a browser issue. i tried firefox and it scrolls through fine without freezing up.
    the site is Oh No They Didn't

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I had no problem with loading that page, even though I'm on a MBP (2.53 GHz and 4GB RAM).

Maybe repairing permissions and cleaning the cache might help.

Look into Onyx for cache cleaning.

5. Apple all life macrumors 6502

I actually see what you mean. It is sloppy scrolling and you get the beachball while scrolling too.

6. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Yeah, it took a bit longer to load, but no SBBOD. Man, did you see how long the scroll bar was? I can certainly see why it may take awhile.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No spinning beach ball with a white 2008 MacBook (2.4GHz and 4GB RAM) either in Safari, it just took longer to load.

The first 84 (out of 88) items took less than 20 seconds to load, and the last 4 items took another 25 seconds with a connection speed of 1.2 MByte/s.

So, maybe more RAM and cleaning the caches will help watching that ridiculously large page.

8. 2056 thread starter macrumors 6502

i'll have to try onyx out. i hope this works, thank you.