MacBook freezing when iPhone's plugged in via USB??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by davidg4781, Dec 9, 2011.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I recently got a Sprint iPhone 4S and also have recently reinstalled Snow Leopard on my CD MacBook.

Since then, my MacBook will freeze all of a sudden. It doesn't seem to be doing it during a back up or sync or anything. At first, I thought it was due to overheating, but it did it once when it was cool. One thing I've noticed is that it doesn't freeze if I don't plug my iPhone into it via USB.

I had a feeling this was the problem, so I didn't plug it in, but kept doing the same stuff I'd normally do, for about a week. No issues at all. One day I needed to charge my iPhone and didn't have an outlet, so I used the USB cable, and after about 20 minutes or so it froze.

Any thoughts of what's causing this or what I can do to remedy it?

2. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue? I hadn't charged my iPhone through my MacBook until last night when it froze again.

Could I benefit from posting this in another forum? Maybe the MacBook one?

3. flashyman macrumors member

Macbook

Really this is a issue of wonder.

4. minkeygirl macrumors newbie

This just started happening to me too with my iPhone 4. I have a Macbook and am running Leopard. I am not Wifi so I need to do this to backup my phone.

Not 5 minutes ago I was online and had my phone charging. I closed the lid for maybe a minute and when I opened it up it was frozen. I can sort of see the screen through the blackness but nothing. I take the battery out, press the power button, put the battery back in, press power and then it is fine.

This just started happening to me a week or so ago and always when my phone is plugged in. I will try a different USB cable next time I do it but I have to make sure I do not close the lid on my computer while my phone is plugged in.

Please let me know if you find anything out about this. I just started looking into this and found this link.

Thanks.

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I haven't found anything out.

When I do have to plug my phone in to sync it, I'll sync than disconnect it right away.

I wasn't sure what you meant about pulling your battery out then turning it off. Battery out of the MacBook?? I'm not sure if that would be good for it, but I don't know. I've always just held down the power button until it turned off.

6. minkeygirl, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

minkeygirl macrumors newbie

Computer freezing

I just found something, I'll put the link at the bottom. It's from 2011 so not sure now but I'd appreciate the help since I'm iPhone challenged.

I hold my button down but nothing happens. Maybe I'm not waiting long enough.

I was told by Apple a few years ago, when I still was under warranty and my computer would "get confused" to do that with the battery which is the only reason I know to do it. Something from the phone is confusing the computer.

Anyway, I read what this guy said and changed the setting on my phone to stop cellular. But since no Wifi I have no signal so can't do that. I didn't find the setting this guy is talking about.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.jtribe.com.au/2011/03/macbook-freezing-when-connecting-your-iphone-via-usb/

UPDATE: I just found another post with a similar issue but no answers. Since we have different OS must be something in the phone. Or with Sprint.

I have been having a problem with my phone lately, and I don't know if this is tied in or not but on the toolbar on my phone, I lose the 3G signal and get a small circle. I'm told that is because I have lost the signal and it reverts back to some really slow version. Both of these started the last 2 weeks or so now that I think of it.

I'm backing up my phone right now. For me I think the problem is when I close the lid and reopen it.

7. minkeygirl macrumors newbie

Macbook freezing

I got the following from Radio Shack iPhone support. Don't know how legit it is.

As for your Mac freezing when closing the lid while the iPhone is connected, this sounds related to a known issue with Mac OSX with connecting/disconnecting external devices and then having the computer go into sleep mode. One solution that may work for you is to reset the PRAM and Repair Permissions. To reset the PRAM, try the following:

· Shut down the computer.
    · Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
    · Turn on the computer.
    · Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    · Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    · Release the keys.

To repair the permissions, try the following:

Open Disk Utility in Applications > Utilities and select your MacBook's hard drive, click the First Aid tab and click "Repair Permissions".