Macbook from Craigslist

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by texmacs, Jul 19, 2008.

1. texmacs macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am thinking about buying macbook from Craigslist...the seller claims its like new/brand new with warranty remaining...My question is if something goes wrong can this warranty be useful? I mean to say is this warranty transferable??...any experience?? suggestions are welcome....Thanks

2. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Yep, warranty follows the computer. I've purchased used, and verified this with the local service center.

Check actual remaining warranty with the serial number on this page:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you searched the forums before you started the buying process? As these threads will show, you need to be VERY careful buying ANYTHING from Craigslist!

4. mBurns macrumors 6502

I've purchased an Apple machine years ago from Craigslist. Even with a warranty, as ggjstudios suggested, you need to be careful not only about what you purchase but meeting the individual on Craigslist in a safe public place. I would suggest testing various random things on the MacBook (playing CD, burning CD/DVD, listening to music, surfing the internet, etc). I would also run the provided Apple Hardware Test with the provided OEM CDs. This should give you a fairly good idea if everything is running properly. As for safety, whenever I meet someone on Craigslist I meet them in the morning or afternoon at a Starbucks where there are many people and there is no chance for being robbed.

5. patmort02 macrumors member

Make sure you check it out before buying it. Make sure everything is there that he says is there. You can also look at the serial number and look it up online to make sure the warranty is still active.

6. muldul macrumors 6502

The warranty follows the computer, only apple care needs to be name changed. If it is brand new and unused then warranty shouldn't be an issue.