MacBook from John Lewis UK - Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ralfy, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Ralfy macrumors newbie

This weekend I wanted to buy a MacBook from John Lewis. I like to buy Macs from JL because of the 2 year guarantee they offer as standard. It is over 3 weeks since Apple released new models with the improved GMA X3100 graphics chipset, so I thought JL may be stocking them by now. On Saturday I visited JL at the Trafford Centre where the display models were all the previous versions. After a discussion with the sales assistant he found out that they had the white 2.2GHz model in stock but not the 2GHz model that I wanted. On Sunday I visited the Cheadle branch of JL. The £699 2GHz model on display was the older model, but the product description card listed the GMA X3100 graphics, so I decided to buy. I had to go to Customer Collections to pick up the MacBook. I decided to open the box in my car and found out it was the old model. I took it back in and they gave me another which was also an older model, so I got a refund. The sales manager who came to sort out the problem explained that as Apple have not changed the stock code for the product, there is no way of knowing what is in the brown outer boxes until they are opened. He advised me that it could be 10 to 12 weeks before they have stock of the latest models.

I think that this is poor business practice by both Apple and JL. Customers not as clued up about the latest specs are paying full price for the old MacBook models. I understand that JL (and Apple) have to dispose of the older models, but I think it should be made clear that that is what you are buying, and maybe they should offer a discount as an incentive.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Well the model numbers are different:

MB061LL/A - the old version

MB061LL/B - the new version

You'd think JL would know what stock they've ordered...

3. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Their website still shows the old model too (with Tiger.)

Thought they would have the new ones by now, must have a large stock that Apple won't take back, but they aren't even offering discounts (and I don't see any old MacBooks in the 'refurbished' section of the UK :apple: Store.)

Did they offer a free Leopard upgrade?

4. Ralfy thread starter macrumors newbie

I think there was a Leopard disk in the box.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I suspect the manager got a little confused. There was no model number change to differentiate between stock with Tiger and stock with Leopard. All Apple told retailers was that stock leaving their warehouse post-26 Oct would have a drop in disk and stock post 3 Nov would have Leopard. You're stuck with up-to-date otherwise.

There is a model number change with the new Macbooks but Apple, aside from iPods these days, are appalling at indicating when stock is actually going to show - and for shipping out old stock immediately before a product change so retailers (of all sizes) are stuck with old stock but without a corresponding saving on cost price which they can pass along until the new stock shows up.

6. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

PC World frequently do this. The advisors used to be pretty ruthless and I've heard them at least once telling customers its the latest and greatest when the product had been refreshed etc weeks or months before. PC World get their mac stock sooooo slowly though, not that thats entirely their fault however. It wouldn't be a problem if they actually offered any discount but they don't.

On the subject of JL though, usually they're clued up on the macs (In my experience at the JL at Cribbs Causeway/Bristol). Sorry to hear you didn't get to buy.

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The PC world at mine still had a ibook 6 months after they'd been stopped by apple and right next to it was a macbook... :D GOOD WORK