Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phish311

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
So i have a couple questions regarding front row on the new macbooks. Both issues i am having were non-issues on a friends macbook that he got when they first came out

1) I have an airport setup for itunes but when i use front row, the music only comes out of my computer speakers and not my external speakers. Is there a way to fix this

2) When i exit front row, the music stops. When i tried my friends (again, the older macbook), this was not happening.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
He likely has Tiger, you have Leopard. Apple updated Frontrow in Leopard to be just like the app run on the :apple:TV. So now Frontrow is a standalone app. Before, in Tiger, Frontrow opened the app and used that to do anything, like to play music it opened iTunes. Many people are upset and think the new Frontrow is a downgrade. People have extracted the old frontrow and used that, but I don't think anyone got it working perfectly.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
It's related to the changes that Apple has made regarding how media is played in Front Row. In Tiger, Front Row was basically a pretty front-end for iTunes, so FR could use iTunes frameworks for playing through AP Express speakers (and, iTunes remained open, but hidden, when FR was closed - so media continued to play). Now, through, FR 2.0 has its own frameworks for media which do not include AP Express capabilities, and which stop running when FR is closed.

Basically, there's nothing you can do except wait for Apple to (hopefully) fix it in a 10.5.x release.

Telefonkiosk

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
I read somewhere how to install the old frontrow from tiger in leopard.
Don't remember specific, but it was something about downloading an old version of frontrow from versiontracker, and replace the leopard frontrow the one downloaded from VT.

Search for it:p

macgal123

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
macbook front row problem

hey guys can someone help me with this problem....my front row has been working perfectly until last night when i opened it and it only lets me play a couple songs and the rest it says that front row can not play them when i click on them. The is really weird...does anyone have any suggestions????? HELP!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.