Macbook froze, now won't boot.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JonathanTricks, Jun 1, 2016.

1. JonathanTricks macrumors newbie

JonathanTricks

Hi.

I was just using my 2012 15" Macbook Retina, with El Captain.

As I was browsing the web everything just locked up but audio was still playing. No problem I thought just reboot and away we go, but nope.

On booting the black screen with white apple logo and loading bar appeared, got to 60-70% and got stuck again and rebooted (at the same time a strange static bar would appear over full width of screen over logo and loading bar a split second before reboot). Now it will not stop doing this. I thought maybe might be hardware to run Diagnostic, both short and long and no faults found.

Thought it might be software then. So I booted into bootcamp and after the Windows 10 log appeared it went to black screen.

Next I tried the PRAM reset, and nothing. Tried to atl into recovery but now recovery is not an options next to OS X and Windows 10. So booted holding R and got into internet recovery. This is where the static/distorted lines all over the screen appeared. It only gave me the option to restore to Lion. It's wouldn't let me restore to earlier version. I ran disk check and all passed fine.

Really stuck on this, Apple replaced Motherboard inc RAM, CPU, GPU, Heat Sink, LCD and top case including battery in August of 2015. So not running most of the machine on original parts. I am starting to think the GPU has died but really hoping there might be another solution to the problem.

Any help would be great as local Apple stores are fully booked for next two days

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

When Apple replaced the motherboard in 2015, did they mention as to whether or not this MacBook Pro fell into the "RadeonGate" program (may not have been effective back then)...?

I suggest you take some time and research "RadeonGate" insofar as it applies to 2011 and some 2012 MacBook Pro 15" models (again, this may not apply to yours, or it might).

If your MacBook falls into the replacement program, take it back to a brick-n-mortar Apple store RIGHT AWAY -- it may qualify for a free replacement.

IF IT DOES -- and if you "paid for" the motherboard replacement LAST TIME -- you might be able to get reimbursed for the cost. No promises, but I believe they've done this for others.

But GET THIS DONE -- don't wait.

3. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

Sounds exactly like what happened to me with my 2012 rMBP. They replaced the logic board, but replacing it with a refurbished one will give you the same problems. However, I advise you to keep doing this (No matter how time consuming it may be) for a total of at least 4-5 times; afterwards, demand a replacement computer of the latest year, and they will most likely do so.

Also ask for any refunds of any payments you made towards the repair of this computer.

4. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000