MacBook froze while working, since then it shuts off when trying to boot.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Glumpfner, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Glumpfner, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

Glumpfner macrumors regular

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro 13" from 2010. It's running Lion with all the latest updates.

Today I was surfing the web had several apps open and was chatting on skype. Suddenly I noticed Skype hung itself up, it said "Not responding" then 30 seconds later non of the apps would respond like it was all frozen. I could only move the mouse cursor. It felt like the system was overloaded. Another few seconds later also the mouse froze.
    I gave it a few minutes hoping it would come back but nothing.
    So I held down the power button to turn if off.

I restarted and when it's booting I see the white bar, as if it's trying to recover from the last crash, but about 10 seconds into booting, it just turns completely off. I never even get to the login screen. I left the laptop off for a few hours. I tried again, same thing over and over. Laptop completely turns off after about 10 seconds into booting.

I also have windows 7 installed over bootcamp, so I tried loading that, works without probem! I am writing this post from Windows 7 now. I opened up windows explorer and had was browsing through the Mac partition, it all works, I get full read access. Guess it's not a hardware issue then -phew!

I have no idea what I can do to fix that problem since I can't even get to the login screen.

What can I do?

Can it be a Kernel error? Or some kind of error while it tries to recover from the last crash?
    Is there any way to tell Mac not to try to recover from the last crash and just to a clean boot?

2. AlphaDogg, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I hope you had a backup. You'll need a new hard drive. You can try booting from the recovery disk and repairing the drive under disk utility, but there's a great chance that it won't work.

3. Glumpfner, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

Glumpfner thread starter macrumors regular

Hello, thanks for the response, but no offense, did you read my post? I can boot into windows 7 via bootcamp. When the laptop starts I hold down the command key and select windows, and it boots up fine and works. That is where I am writing these posts from.
    I can browse the entire Mac hard drive when I am on windows, without a problem.

So obviously the hard drive is not physically damaged, why would you say I need a new hard drive when it clearly works for windows and I get full read&write access for the Mac partition on windows.

It sounds like kernel error to me, or some kind of restore error because when it boots it starts the recovery start up with the white bar.

I will try the recovery mode and try to repair the partition, thanks for the adive.

4. Ploki macrumors 68010

Few bad sectors doesn't mean the whole drive is bad - it could mean that the system won't boot though. Try to verify the disk via recovery