Macbook frozen at boot screen, replaced HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by insomniacl, Oct 21, 2011.

1. insomniacl, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

insomniacl macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2011
    Hi guys,

I'm sure you've heard this issue a few times by now. I'm trying to repair my brother's macbook actually which wasn't loading past the bootscreen and showing an image of a globe.

After some googling, a lot of people mentioned a dead hard drive, so I suspected the same. I replaced the hard drive with a new one, but now all I get is the question mark folder. I can't seem to boot from the CD's either.

Any ideas on further things to try? I've done most of the "hold down a button at boot" things. One thread mentioned an HDD cable (, maybe its the logic board?

2. requimrar macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2011
    Does the HDD have an OS inside? Insert the OSX install CD, right after boot press alt/option and you should be able to see the CD as a bootable medium.
  3. insomniacl thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2011
    No luck unfortunately. Tried with the old HD, the new HD, and with no HD lol.
  4. insomniacl thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2011

Hello friends, so I took my macbook into a repair shop for diagnostics.

It turns out the CD-ROM had died, and wasn't able to read the boot CD to reinstall OS X. The HDD also failed but was replaced, but I could never get past a gray screen because I couldn't install from CD.

So I opted to just let the CD-ROM be dead (replacement would have costed around $150?) and they reinstalled the OS for me.

If you have another mac or a friend, there are guides on how to install mac from USB drive, so you can do that as well. Thanks
  5. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2010
    Wow, what a very unfortunate series of events. glad you got it fixed