Macbook frozen at boot screen, replaced HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by insomniacl, Oct 21, 2011.

1. insomniacl, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

insomniacl macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm sure you've heard this issue a few times by now. I'm trying to repair my brother's macbook actually which wasn't loading past the bootscreen and showing an image of a globe.

After some googling, a lot of people mentioned a dead hard drive, so I suspected the same. I replaced the hard drive with a new one, but now all I get is the question mark folder. I can't seem to boot from the CD's either.

Any ideas on further things to try? I've done most of the "hold down a button at boot" things. One thread mentioned an HDD cable (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=316294), maybe its the logic board?

** PROBLEM SOLVED, SEE BELOW
    Thanks

2. requimrar macrumors newbie

Does the HDD have an OS inside? Insert the OSX install CD, right after boot press alt/option and you should be able to see the CD as a bootable medium.

3. insomniacl thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck unfortunately. Tried with the old HD, the new HD, and with no HD lol.

4. insomniacl thread starter macrumors newbie

** PROBLEM IDENTIFIED & FIXED **

Hello friends, so I took my macbook into a repair shop for diagnostics.

It turns out the CD-ROM had died, and wasn't able to read the boot CD to reinstall OS X. The HDD also failed but was replaced, but I could never get past a gray screen because I couldn't install from CD.

So I opted to just let the CD-ROM be dead (replacement would have costed around $150?) and they reinstalled the OS for me.

If you have another mac or a friend, there are guides on how to install mac from USB drive, so you can do that as well. Thanks

5. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

Wow, what a very unfortunate series of events. glad you got it fixed