MacBook frozen on beachball during set up.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mball444, Apr 16, 2015.

1. mball444 macrumors newbie

So I just got the new macbook base model and while setting it up first time I got to the file vault setting and then I got the beachball. after 10 minutes of waiting i turned it off and started over and then had no problems and it didn't even ask for the file vault. now i have two accounts on the computer. anyone else have this same issue? is it anything to worry about?

2. Dkunesh macrumors newbie

Same here

I've got the same issue. Maybe it's trying to encrypt the disk? I'll leave it run for an hour.

3. mball444 thread starter macrumors newbie

do you think turning it off during the process could have caused any damage?

4. Dkunesh macrumors newbie

I gave up

I gave up and restarted. This time it didn't even ask to start FileVault. I checked in the Privacy section of System Preferences and FileVault was off once the setup process completed. I deleted the previous admin account in Users & Groups. Everything seems just fine.

So, no, I think you are fine. Just a poorly tested piece of software. :roll eyes:

BTW others have had this problem on other forums...

5. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

No, it's highly unlikely any damage would have occurred.

6. Dkunesh macrumors newbie

Not sure File Vault is necessary anyway

I plan to keep most of my stuff in Drop Box or iCloud (photos), so no real need to slow down file I/O with encryption anyway. :)

7. Four by Six macrumors newbie

It seems like everyone is having this problem. How do I avoid it? I read updating OSX prevents it, but can you update the OS before it asks about file vault?

8. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

You can "reinstall" via Recovery. Instructions here.

9. xPad macrumors regular

You can just wait it out. It will continue after 20-40 minutes.

10. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Just set it up later, after you setup OS X if this is when the problem is occurring. This is what I did and it solved the problem.

11. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Yeah, mine did the same. I was like... really.. this is how this thing starts off?? Ha.

12. saifrc macrumors member

13. rahulr macrumors regular

I had this exact issue seating up my wife's RMBP 13 just last month. I turned off my laptop mid setup started again and everything was fine. Had the same issue on the MB and followed the same path and again all is right.

14. PDACPA macrumors regular

PDACPA

Beach ball at FileVault.

Turn off with the power button, restart, do not sign on wifi, set up gives you a new user name (your first one will not be available). Setup completes and the log out and log back in as the new user and delete the second user (system preferences, users).