MacBook full time desktop use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tronix, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Tronix macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a MacBook and the specs are in my sig, I recently bought the mini DVI to VGA converter so I could plug my monitor into my MacBook. I plan on selling my current windows machine and replacing it with my MacBook.

One of my main concerns well only concern is that I will be leaving the MacBook on for long periods of time. I normally watch movies off my PC and I normally fall asleep with my PC on. This will end up happening with the MacBook very often. I set the power settings to make the MacBoook go to sleep after being inactive for 15 minutes. But I found that there still was some heat generated on my desk.

So is it safe to leave the MacBook on for long periods of time like I will be doing. Is there a way to make the MacBook shut down after being inactive for a certain amount of time?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :).

2. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I never turn off my Macbook... NEVER!

I've had it 7 months and its either sleeping or in use, its designed to operate while turned on so why would that be a problem?

3. dimme macrumors 65816

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I run my macbook as a desktop 24/7 with no problems.

If you want the macbook to sleep at a certain time, you can always use this little program called iWannaSleep. It lets you define when the machine goes to sleep.

EDIT: Hyperlink updated, thanks riscy. :)

5. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

^^ Osarkon, there is a problem with your hyperlink - this should work

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Mine's never off either. I use it at home and work and at work, I use a Griffin Elevator which helps with the heat problem.

I only shutdown or restart for updates and battery calibration.

7. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I never shut mine down either (except for restarts due to software updates and whatnot). Works like a charm!

I bought my macbook for the same reason as you. I wanted to dump my windows desktop for something small and portable.

8. rsm5068 macrumors regular

You should be fine leaving it on. I would suggest a cooler stand maybe, if you're really worried about the heat.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, restart is restart, there is no "never" if you did restart, for whatever reason. since the realistic effects are the same.

to OP. you can leave it on, safely, and just restart whenever you feel necessary. No need to holding grudge against "restart".

10. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah i leave my MB on all teh time, i d/l a lot of stuff so my torrents are always on downloading so it never even goes to sleep. I like to restart my computer once a week or so, i ftehya re too many page outs, i don t know if it helps, probably not but it make sme feel better about it... still havent caliobrated my battery since i got it like 10 monsth ago i just get on that

11. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

I have yet to see any computer that is designed to operate while turned OFF :D

12. LeftoverCrack macrumors member

i've done the same thing you have. tossed an old windows machine for a macbook as my desktop. i only notice heat problems when i play cpu intensive games. i found an extremely good solution, and it only cost me 15$.

[​IMG]

drops my temperature by atleast 10C. well worth the investment.

13. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Just don't forget to completely discharge and recharge once a month.

Apple - Batteries.

14. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I have a 4.5 year old ibook G4 which has been on every day from 7am to
    11pm with no cooling stand. Usually I put it to sleep at night. Several
    people use it.

Never had any problems and I live in Texas. Sometimes don't turn on
    A/C until it hits mid 80's in the house.

I keep waiting for this thing to die so I can a new laptop lol.

15. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Its actually better for the HW components to have the laptop stay on rather then Cold Boot On and Off. If anything you can sleep it if you know you will be passing out soon. ;)

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, just get a new one. I ditched my 4 years old Compaq Laptop, its battery is holding next to nothing power (I never discharge/recharged it !), but still running strong.

17. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

You can definitely use it for full time desktop use. Run it as long as you want to, like everyone else here has said, you can leave them on for months on end with no problems. ;)

18. bitty417 macrumors member

I've had my Macbook around 14 months. It has never been turned off for more than 30 minutes. Driving a 27" monitor the entire time. This machine is fantastic!

19. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Are you telling me that a restart is the same thing as powering down one's system?

My point is, my laptop is always ON, everything is operating to some degree.

20. theotherguy macrumors member

Keep the lip open

Someone might know more about this, but I do the same thing as you (pluged into a '20 ACD so I don't have to squint for hours while writing briefs).

I was told by a guy at the apple store (not an employee, just a helpy-helperton 'civilian')that the fan on the macbook pulls air in through the keyboard and if I was going to be running the macbook w/ a external it would be a good idea to keep the lip open so it doesn't run warmer than usual for hours. Seems to work for me.

As a word of advice; when I watch a trailer or something in full screen, it tends to kick the fans on when the ACD is plugged in as compared to the laptop screen. I assume this is from the graphics processor working harder. This is normal and expected, but not much of a problem other than having to hear it turning on/off. Also, if you can wing it- I would recommend looking into the wireless keyboard. I bought the newer version and like it better, but have the older wireless model if you are interested (haven't had time to do ebay/craigslist is usually a giant pain). pretty much sell it for whatever you think if fair or anyone else ftm (it works great, just type 3 times faster on the newer version).

I also don't turn mine off.

21. dimme macrumors 65816

Is the cooler you use a commercial product or something you made. I would love to get more info. I play FSX in windows and my machine really heats up when playing.

22. chinarut macrumors member

sleep my macbook nightly

I originally bought my macbook back last November thinking it would just complement my G4 mac mini. Well - at the end of the day, my macbook is pretty much a full-time desktop and my mini sleeps peacefully most of the time :rolleyes:

I particularly enjoy the fact that I can use my external as a full screen browser and keep all my other windows on my macbook LCD.

I also never thought Leopard would be as much of a draw as it is over Panther (I skipped Tiger and glad I did)

want to add that a latex-like "keyboard shield" was thrown in with my macbook and I had no idea it was causing my macbook to blast its fan most of the time. The oil/dust protection is nice when you're on the run but for the most part, not good for extended desk use - just a heads up to anyone else who uses this shield!

I put my macbook to sleep almost every night - been workin like a charm! (knock on wood)

23. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

What about plugging in it all the time? As in, it's been in use and sleeping for 10 straight hours and has been plugged in the whole time.

24. chinarut macrumors member

I leave my macbook plugged in while sleeping

I don't have a reference to the post/thread now - I read by keeping the battery charge status green, it is not degrading the battery in any way.

What I notice is while my macbook is sleeping, my AC adaptor is cool to the touch which verifies no power is being drawn.

If I unplug my macbook, it drains the battery and it drains at a pretty quick rate - I recall losing 20-25% of my battery overnight.

All said, my macbook stays plugged in!