Macbook functions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EngBrian, Jun 13, 2007.

1. EngBrian macrumors regular

I just got a new macbook and the function key essentially does nothing. The manual that came with says that to change the volume, brightness etc...you hit FN+F1 etc...but it doesn't work. Ctrl+whatever works though. is this an option in OSX that is incorrect?

thanks for any help.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you should be able to press the f-key with the volume icons on it. you shouldn't need to press a combination of keys.

3. EngBrian thread starter macrumors regular

sorry i guess i wasn't clear. I only have to press ctrl to get it to work. the fn key does nothing.

4. 66217 Guest

By default, you don't need to press Fn to increase/decrease volume or brightness.

Fn also comes handy when using PowerPoint, if you press Fn +Up/Down Arrow it cycles trough slides.

If you press Fn + Delete it would delete the other way around. (At least in the Spanish keyboard).

EDIT: You don't need to press ctrl for it to work.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the "fn" key enables the function keys f1-f12. it also enables pg up/down, home and the end keys. as well as the "number pad" keys. try pressing fn+u in as text. you should get a "4" as the output. also try fn+f10, some exposé option should be activated.

6. EngBrian thread starter macrumors regular

right. well that works. but i don't get why the manual makes it look like the FN key should do that.

thanks.