Macbook Games Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JonnyAlpha, Dec 20, 2010.

1. JonnyAlpha macrumors regular

Hi;

Considering upgrading my sons Macbbok 13 inch, he's had it about 4/5 years and its pretty worn. Its the old 60GB model.

Had a look at the new one and there is no doubt this will be an improvement, more memory, faster CPU, DL DVD.

With regards to the Gfx processor the 320M what sort of performance should we expect for 3D games? Such as COD4, Steam Day of Defeat and driving games such as Colin McRae etc.

Thanks

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

There's something you'll have to understand about MacBook graphics:

They really are great graphics. They look amazing :) But, they aren't that good for 3D gaming. Not because of the chip itself or anything (the chip itself has really good performance) it's just apple's software. Apple designs their graphics to work around applications, such as photoshop, video editing, and the like. Apple has yet to design their machine's for much leisure use. And when you think about it, Apple is the workman's machine.
    For an example, I have done photo editing on both windows and Mac. With photoshop, Mac completely blows the photo quality out of the water. But, when it comes to games, windows takes the cake. I have Bootcamp on my machine, and I have run Starcraft II on both OS's. Windows could run the game on all Medium/High settings, while my OS X could only run the game on low/medium.
    So, to sum it up, it'll definitely play all the games you want it to, but you won't be able to use super high settings. But then again, depending on how old your son is, he probably won't even notice :p haha. I hope that answers your question