Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucky3killer

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Battlefield 2142 for mac? It works?
I was being told it did not run on the Macbook 13.3" $1099 one.

I'm buying it now!

If requirement system said GMA isn't supported then can't run it.

You are require to own iMac, MBP or Mac Pro to run this game, not on MacBook or Mac Mini.

None of EA games for Mac that support GMA.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
I have a macbook 2ghz and 1 gb of ram and 10gb on my windows partition side, i use steam and got css but when I try to install it there is either an error that says servers are too busy and to try again later or that I dont have enough memory.

Can anyone help, I really wanna play cs s
Thanks,
Chris N

davidtmarquez

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2007
i've been wondering how to get Battlefield 2 working.
actually.. i'm running vista, and have the same problems with PC users.

and.. Battle for Middle Earth II works decent enough. supports til 1024 x (something.. i forgot. :]])

ANewMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Vista and BF2

Hi,
I'm getting better at this Mac stuff but I'm still more proficient at windows. I ran BF2 all the time with 2 different computer with Vista. The biggest problem can be:
1. You have an integrated video card or not enough video ram.
2. You need to run the game with "XP compatibility Mode".
3. You may need to run as administrator if your not logged in as one.
4. You have more than 3 gigs of ram which needs a patch which stops those dreaded crash to desktop errors 'CTD'. All of these problems will cause a CTD.

I had each of those issues until I resolved one at a time. Then the game ran excellent. With an 8600GT 256mg card from nvidia, I would easily get 80 to 120 fps with everything on high except two settings and at the highest resolution.

Now I have an iMac 20" 2.4 with 4 gig of ram, 3 of which XP acknowledges, and running BF2 with bootcamp XP, I get 80 to 100 fps easily with no crashes at all. I run with everything on high and 1200 X something for resolution. If I try to run at 1400 my fps drops to about 50-ish which normally is playable but hard to drop that low when I'm used to higher. Plus not one Punkbuster issue which is the other plague that BF2 has.

ANewMacGuy

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
If any of you are planning on running games on your MB, Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT Run them In Vista.
The Drivers for the x3100 on Vista SUCK beyond measure.

I went from getting 30-40 fps on CS with everything on High at 1240 x (whatever) on XP to getting like 20-36 on Vista, with everything on Low and at 800 x 600.

Get XP or let games suffer horribly.

PcBgone

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
I know this is a long shot...

But have any of you gotten Black and White to work in Leopard?

thehappysavage

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2008
2.4 GHz 4 GB RAM Macbook

thinking of buying a new macbook with 4 GB RAM and was wondering if anybody else had luck with the following games:

Medieval 2: TW
Company of Heroes
Dawn of War
CS: Source

I know that people have reported on some of these, but I was hoping someone with one of the new macbooks could tell me how they run since it seems like it's been mixed results with some of the others. I don't need the settings to be really high, as long as the game can get more than 30 fps.

Also, I was planning on running these using vista and bootcamp, but if I have to I could probably run XP, so experience with either would be helpful. Thanks.

sixmac

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
thinking of buying a new macbook with 4 GB RAM and was wondering if anybody else had luck with the following games:

Medieval 2: TW
Company of Heroes
Dawn of War
CS: Source

I know that people have reported on some of these, but I was hoping someone with one of the new macbooks could tell me how they run since it seems like it's been mixed results with some of the others. I don't need the settings to be really high, as long as the game can get more than 30 fps.

Also, I was planning on running these using vista and bootcamp, but if I have to I could probably run XP, so experience with either would be helpful. Thanks.

i got a standard 2.4 haven't seen the need to upgrade the 2 gigs or ram yet.

i was thinking of giving company of heros a try or at least the demo, i got crossover games for TF2 but maybe bootcamp only :confused:

lately i have been playing civ 4 and it works really well defaults to medium settings haven't had to drop it yet (full screen 1280 X 800) :)

Edit: was playing civ on huge map and max AI's started to chug at about 1500AD but then i got attacked by everyone and wiped out, maybe i should keep it too a small map with less comps :p

soulslayer04

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008
2.4 GHZ 2 gigs of ram Duo Core proccesor

Does anyone have the newest model of the black macbook? and do you guys think it can handle steam games such as team fortress 2 and Half life 2 and Warhammer online?

djmoney

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
NKY
sim complete

how do you get the sims complete to run full screen i do the hold command key it gives me the option to run and in full or window. when full screen is chosen it doesn't change the resolution to fit the game. how do i set the mac to resize automatically or is there a setting in the game its self

ReVeda

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
East Coast
macbook pro

well at this point I'm sure most have tried Homeworld 2, which until the servers were shut down there are other sites that will host on-line gaming. I've played this game for nine year's on pc and now run it on macbook pro and it looks great and the frame rate is flawless. When I have the time to run it on-line with a few other peeps, whom also use it on mac os with no issues that I'm aware of. my other screen namess are coldspyderSLS and WebLordSLS. Space Lord Syndicate. a site called Logmein.com or go to Relic forms.

ReVeda:cool:

egg88

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
playable games

i have the 2.2ghz macbook with 4gb and so far the games i am able to play are
On crossover games
Half life
Cs 1.6 (fluctuates 30-60, sometimes 15 on large custom maps)
Sven Co-op (10-15 complete madness)
Cs:s (fluctuates 10-60) (DO NOT LOOK DOWN LONG A ON DUST WITH 30+PLAYERS)
Left 4 Dead (10, choppy, half of the things are not rendered, only play if you want a good laugh)
Hl2 (10 fps always, have not figured out why)
OSX
WoW(on lowest settings)
Instances 30-60
PvP( Wsg, AB, SotA, EotS, run 20-30 fine. AV and Wintergrasp in intensive moments drop to 5)
World- standing in the middle of dalaran now getting 7-9 fps

WC3- (default settings) runs great, gets really choppy (10fps) in really intense moments like footman frenzy when everyone rushes middle

On Windows XP (only 2.53 Ram is shown, how to fix pl0x?)
Cs 1.6 runs 30+ all the time
CS:S runs at 10 on lowest settings all the time even looking at the ground i do not know what is going on
Hl2 See CS:S

Left 4 Dead- this gets really weird
Settings(Basic all on lowest, turn your brightness on highest the flashlight makes everything choppy)
-Advanced settings (all off, paged pool memory high, Dual core rendering enabled)
Everything is rendered Menu screen runs perfect opening video etc

now so far i have only been able to run Single player and Lan stuff easily, all online games are 10 fps and unplayable.

How to make single player playable:
if you notice in First person mode you need to turn your flashlight off so you get smooth gameplay, also every time you fire you get a hiccup. This is why first person mode is a no no. enable console and type thirdpersonshoulder (you should see the option when you type third, you do not need sv_cheats 1 enabled for this option)
once thirdpersonshoulder is enabled you should be able to play it at a decent what looks like 15-20 even though the net graph says 10 it plays much smoother and does not hiccup at every shot (except in places example: campaign 5 terminal level, looking all the way down the terminal)

and that is about all i have discovered

egg88

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
Update

I installed some driver updates from the intel site and i run games on Steam allot better, still a big fluctuation but its from 10-80
Left 4 Dead is almost playable, im running somewhere from 10-20 FPS, running on XP which only registers 2.5 so hopefully if i install vista 64 it will register all 4 GB of ram and will give maybe a 3-5 FPS boost

stryder22

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2009
Plz Help!

hey friends. im just getting on macfourms for first time. i have mac osx 2GHz 1GB 667 MHz w/ gma 950. im hearing a lot of talk about people getting to play games like CS and BF and stuff with similar hardware. How does all that come togethr? I mean how do you get it to work? Thanks Much
Andrew

If requirement system said GMA isn't supported then can't run it.

You are require to own iMac, MBP or Mac Pro to run this game, not on MacBook or Mac Mini.

None of EA games for Mac that support GMA.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
hey friends. im just getting on macfourms for first time. i have mac osx 2GHz 1GB 667 MHz w/ gma 950. im hearing a lot of talk about people getting to play games like CS and BF and stuff with similar hardware. How does all that come togethr? I mean how do you get it to work? Thanks Much
Andrew

I hear Counter Strike works well in CrosOver. Doesn't work in Bootcamp though

Ol3s

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
L'viv, Ukraine
I have a macbook and i play a few games on it:

- Spore (med-high setting, dont remember resolution, game plays very well)
- Diablo II (obviously on highest, theres really not much choice for setting, plays, ehhh, well it playable but sometimes slows down, and macbook heats up)
- Counter-Strike 1.6 (with some mod that gives a lot of blood and the game is in ukrainian, i play on highest settings, and get 30-50 fps) (Used crossover Games)
- C&C RA3 (plays on mid high but works much faster on low, but with a high resolution)
- CoD4 (game in french so i dont really no alot about settings, textures on high and resolution of max, no AA, plays well)
- BF2142 (Plays like sh*t online but solo it plays quite well on medium settings)
- Halo (everything good on high)
- Team Fortress 2 (dont remember the setings, were probably high, gameplay and framerate depended on servers some good, some sh*t) (used Crossover Games)

Heres what i would like to find out, how would these play:

- Sims 3
- CoD 2
- AoE III (and Asian Dynasties)
- Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
- Need for Speed: Carbon
- Prince of Persia 4
- Shaun White Snowboarding
- CivIV

For all the above i am wondering about i am talking about the mac version

MinorBidoh

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2005
uk
thanks for the BF2 info, tis greatly appreciated.

Both Need for Speed Carbon & Most wanted play very well at medium settings, with res at 1200x something, on my stock 09 mac mini. COD2 plays beautifully at max settings for single player and online. COD4 however plays ok after lowering settings but not quite playable for online (more than 1GB ram would help nicely).

Colin McRae Rally and Star Wars battlefront 1 & 2 both run extremely well, although haven't tried online yet.

I also found a mac version of BF2 in a dark alley of the interweb and that runs very happily.

HarryGoldfarb

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
currently i have these games running on my macbook
prossesor - 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
memory - 2 GB
graphics - integrated GMA X3100

guitar hero 3 with xbox controllers working check my vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDka4LejMsw)
Halo 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAzGB5eD2w4)
Need For Speed Carbon (gonna be buying underground to try that in a few days) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojFc7s_HZhg
SPORE
Warcraft 3
World of Warcraft Wrath of the Litch King

currently trying out Sims 2 and all the EP's as well i might go pick up like tiger woods 05 to see if that works ill keep you guys posted

sarareid

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
Hello everyone,
That was god piece of information.I also have been testing this things for few days.I agree with your posted games that you have tasted,
I will write soon about more games that I am testing.

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
Civ 4 on X3100

Anyone played Civ 4 (Mac or PC) on the MacBooks with the Intel GMA X3100 graphics card? It's not listed specifically on Aspyr's site. Also, does Civ 3 Complete (Mac) work on this MacBook? I have the original Civ 3, but I can't run it. Apple's drivers for the X3100 only support Millions (24-bit) of colors and Civ 3 original requires Thousands (16-bit) of colors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.