Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etcstang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
I have a macbook that i bought 2 years ago. It has 1g ram and has a 2Ghz intel core 2 duo. I recently started playing world of warcraft on it, my fps is really low in high pop areas even with all the game settings at low. I want to know what modifications I can do to get my fps higher to make the game more enjoyable.

~thanks

Jisuo

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Sweden
Not much you can do, because of the graphics chipset on the older macbooks. It's just not suitable for gaming.

aviationalyours

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Doha, Qatar
?

My friend has the exact model and WoW works fine.

Check if you have any other apps running and using system resources. I think the best solution (cause this mac uses shared memory for video) is to upgrade your RAM. "especially' if you run Leapord.

etcstang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
thanks for the info, I think i am going to add ram. that seems to be what ppl recommend for me to do, do you know what my comp max's out at for ram? and I know it has the graphics chip, is there anyway to upgrade that?

I can play the game just fine it just getting annoying running less then 10 fps in most areas.

aviationalyours

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Doha, Qatar
4GB of Ram

The maximum is 4 gigs of RAM. I think just jumping to two will solve the problem. A terribly slow internet connection might be a problem.

The graphics chip is integrated with the motherboard or logicboard. So you just can't replace it.

Upgrade your RAM and wait for Snow Leopard 10.6:D

Or just buy a new one.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
A terribly slow internet connection might be a problem.

Nope, I know exactly what the OP is talking about. Around the bank/auction house in cities, dozens of people tend to congregate. And take off their clothes. And dance. Apparently no city square in that game is complete without a night elf exotic dancer.

Anyway.

When too many people cluster together, the game begins dropping frames. On my old Power Mac G5 with 512 MiB of memory, I would be lucky to get 1 fps in the Great Hall of Ironforge. For those that know the game, I ended up in the trench at least twice per visit, but at least I couldn't see the people from down there so my performance greatly improved on my way back out. And I didn't have to look at naked night elves. Which, by the way, is not a phrase that should ever under any circumstances be Googled.

Yes, adding more memory will do a lot to alleviate this problem.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
As mentioned RAM is key, but some of it may also be due to the slight engine upgrades that came with WOTLK's release. They did some changes to lighting, and some other things that give different effects (aka Fire has been changed big time if you've gotten to the Dragon/Arthas cut scene/aftermath). That can cause a little bit of a chug too on older machines.

Hope you get it running a bit better... RAM is definitely going to help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.