Macbook: Get rid of the idle noise

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mayuka, Feb 23, 2009.

1. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

Hello.

Since all the new Macbooks came with intel processors they all suffer from the same problem: a high pitched idle noise, also known as "CPU whine". That rhythmic screaming like noise comes directly from under the "W" key. On linux one could simply change the Hz-ticking of the scheduler from 1000 Hz to a different value (mostly 100 Hz or 10000 Hz). On Mac OS that doesn't seem to be possible. So now my question. How can I get rid of the idle noise? Are there any tools that allow me to disable the idle mode of the processor(s)? Running Photo Booth does help but that isn't a solution. Since I have to write important texts in a very quite environment this can be quite annoying! So has anyone help?

Thanks a lot !!

2. mayuka thread starter macrumors 6502a

mayuka

Just for reference. (Why is nobody answering me here???? :mad::mad::mad:) I sent it back!!! Even the Apple Support suggests it.

3. Jisuo macrumors 6502

Uh, ok? I got the new unibody and mine is perfectly quiet.

4. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Er...ALL Intel MacBooks ?

Mine is quiet as a mouse.........what are you on about ?

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

6. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

i have it on my blackbook, but its only when the laptop is plugged in to the charger..

there is a app called quietMBP that disables the noise but it will make your fans speed so its gonna be the same thing

7. amrk47 macrumors regular

most of the older processors have it

not the new penryns

8. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

i know what you're talking about, but my unibody doesn't have it. i've had a macbook (white) and macbook pros in the past, but i don't remember which one had it.

9. brikro macrumors member

10. mayuka thread starter macrumors 6502a

mayuka

In general, yes. Since Mac OS X uses 1000 Hz as scheduling frequency you literally can hear the transistors simultaniously switch. The problem is when you hear that noise so loud it seems to be a problem of malfactored chips. Maybe that's also the reason why Apple replaces the units without any hassle. That information was really hard to find. I found that one on an old discussion on the linux kernel mailing list back in 2005. It seems that also the newest processor generation from intel still comes with bad transistors sometimes.

11. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Your hearing must be better than mine........as i said mines very quiet indeed....

12. polska9 macrumors member

my friend with a older macbook pro jokingly said that my computer probably doesnt have a fan because it so quiet!

13. California macrumors 68040

California

Mine's quiet. Optical disc whirrs, but that's about it.

14. evelocity17 macrumors newbie

mine 2, my 2.1 speakers are louder when they are just on w/ nothing playing

15. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

16. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

If my room is completely silent all I can hear from my BlackBook is the hard drive running idle tasking and the occasional fan whir.

My Iridium Starbook on the other hand sounds like a railway locomotive when its idle :D

17. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

You must be a young guy right? I know what the noise is that your talking about. I can only hear it when I put my ear up to the upper left area of the keyboard... it's a very high pitch whine. Most people older then older than ~28 can't hear frequencies this high pitched so they never hear it.

18. harry454 macrumors 6502

yeah, just like that high pitched ringtone which older people cant hear.

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Mine does it at random intervals. It's quite annoying, but not regular enough to permit a repair. I simply can't rely on it making the noise in the presence of a Genius, so I haven't attempted it.

20. mayuka thread starter macrumors 6502a

mayuka

Not quite anymore. I'm beginning to reach the 30's.... But maybe it's because I seldom visit any locations with very loud music. 3 years ago I made a test and I can hear frequencies until 15,8 KHz... I play piano... Maybe that has sharpened my ears? :cool: Anyway... The new MAcBook is on it's way and I really hope that this one will be much quieter...

21. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

The earlier models of Macbook and Macbook Pro (from a couple of years ago) had this issue. You may recall one solution was to launch Photo Booth. Doing that caused the CPU to leave the lowest power state, and made the whine go away. This was eventually corrected in newer motherboard revs and new machines as they rolled out. I have owned the past few Mac portables and have not noticed the noise. I had a unibody MB and did not hear the noise, and my 15" and 17" unibody MBPs do not exhibit it either. If you hear the whining noise on your unibody MB I would suggest having it looked at.

22. tsuru macrumors member

Yeah, I have the unibody MacBook 2.0GHz and I've had that happen to me so you're not the only one. In my room it was loud enough to where I could hear it with just with normal usage (not with my head pressed against the keyboard or anything). But that only happened once so I haven't had anything since then.

23. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

My son has that on his phone and has spent the evening taunting me that i can't hear it !!!