MacBook gets hot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RiceRacerDX, Mar 9, 2009.

1. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

I'm using iStat and it says that my CPU runs at temps around high 70s, low 80 degrees Celsius for about 10-15 minutes at a time (also says the same for Airport card). It usually takes a while for it to cool down. I always place my laptop on flat surfaces. It does this even during light internet surfing minus flash or any other multimedia...now WITH multimedia use, it reaches the 80s no problem and I just quit the process cuz I don't want my laptop to explode one day.

I just wanted to know if this was average and what temps everyone else is usually running at?

I'm afraid that if it runs at these high of temps for a long time each time like that, then it may do some damage somewhere...

Also, what do you guys use/do to reduce the heat?

2. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

80 should not be a problem, i think after it hits over 100, you should be cautious about your macbook. my mbp has had rendering sessions that keep it at over 98 for days on end with no problem other than loud fans.

at first i was worried but now i am fully happy knowing it is going to last a long time. i am not sure of the architectural advancements in the new unibody but my mbp (2007) cools off very fast from 80 degrees back to 45 or 50 where it spends most of its time.