MacBook getting new logic board :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MattJ11, May 27, 2008.

1. MattJ11 macrumors member

I've just been informed by the apple store in my city that my 2.16ghz MacBook needs a new logic boat becasue one of the USB ports isn't working, thats fine I can deal without my mac for a week. My main concern is that they won't give me the same spec as my origional board. I have been extreamly happy with my mac and I only have a month left of warranty and I can't afford Apple care. Will my new FireWire port be the new chip instead of the origional TI chip? This is very important becasue I do audio work and my interfaces need the TI chipset.

I'm just really confused about what's going on. Why do they need to replace such abig part just for a single USB port?

I really hope I don't get a bad Board. If it something goes wrong with it after my warranty has expired will the replace for free?

Thanks for your help.

Matt

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

You'll almost certainly get the same board (unless the shop screws something up majorly). If you are concerned, ask the technicians what the FW chipset will be.

They have to replace the logic board because the USB ports, along with all the other ports (with the exception of the DC board), are soldered onto the logic board, and can't be replaced individually.

3. MattJ11 thread starter macrumors member

Oh ok cool. I'll ask them when I go to pick it up.

Thanks